[NE] Nomination Elimination Game Reminder Lists

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

OscarGuy wrote:The rule is not if it was previously recorded/covered. The rule is if it was written specifically for the film. If it was written more than a year prior to the year, you can bet it's probably ineligible.
Yes, I believe this is why "It Must Have Been Love" from Pretty Woman was ineligible--it had been written years earlier but never recorded.

And Magilla, you've just destroyed all my plans for 1960 by pointing out the 1961 nomination for Ballad of a Soldier. AHHHHHHHH! Darnit!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The rule is not if it was previously recorded/covered. The rule is if it was written specifically for the film. If it was written more than a year prior to the year, you can bet it's probably ineligible.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think all the songs in Laurel Canyon were covers of previously written songs, but since Shade & Honey (written circa 1995?) was not previously recorded I suppose it could be considered eligible.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:wzfexqlaldse
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

to the 2003 songs I must add

'Shade and Honey' Laurel Canyon sung by Alessandro Nivola

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1211197450
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Into the West and May It Be world's apart musically and lyrically. And while I've detailed why Into the West fits perfectly where it's at in the end credits. But since I've gone over that many times and several individuals refuse to even read or understand it, there's no point it saying it all again.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The wonderful General Della Rovere was Oscar nominated for best screenplay the following year, another case of a film that opened in N.Y. in one year and L.A. the next. Also, scratch fellow 1961 screenplay nominee Ballad of a Soldier taht I had originally listed for 1960.

I guess neither Penelope nor I are big Jerry Lewis fans as neither of us listed any of the three titles of his that are eligible.

I think the others are OK as well.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1211198568
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Starting to think about 1960, I found several titles that seem like they ought to qualify, but were not mentioned either by Magilla or Penelope. I've only seen about half of them, and of those there are only two or three I'm seriously considering using in the game (who knows, I may use none, depending on the opportunities presented). But I present the full list so as not to tip my hand:

BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE
THE BELLBOY
CINDERFELLA
COMANCHE STATION
GENERAL DELLA ROVERE
HELL BENT FOR LEATHER
JAZZ ON A SUMMER'S DAY
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
NEVER TAKE SWEETS FROM A STRANGER
THE UNFAITHFULS
VIRGIN ISLAND
VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET

Do all of those work as eligible titles? The imdb shows them as having U.S. releases in 1960.

One more title I'm not sure if I'd use even if it were eligible, but present as a test question so I can understand the eligibility rules better: the Hong Kong film THE WILD, WILD ROSE has a 1960 release date in its home country, but a festival-only US release date of 2007. If the film was ever commercially released in the US, it was probably only to the Chinatown circuit, of which internet records are very sketchy. Who knows what year it might have come over, if at all (I'd bet it did at some point play in Chinatown theatres since it stars Grace Chang, but the imdb has no record whether it did). Is a film like this eligible to be used in the game? I'm guessing not.

Edited By rain Bard on 1211187388
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

"Scarlet Tide" is great. I think that 2003 had the best nominated songs of the decade. Genuinely interesting, disparate selections. I think "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" is a wonderful, sweet song and provided the brightest patch of entertainment in a miserably boring show. I find "Into the West" to be an incredibly dull composition and totally interchangeable with "May It Be", and should have been replaced with "Time Enough for Tears".

I never braved 'Gods and Generals' but if anything could draw me in its songs by Bob Dylan.

Edited By Sabin on 1211169261
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I personally hope that "The Scarlet Tide" gets preserved (doubt it does, though), but I couldn't argue against either of the songs from Gods and Generals. The movie is pretty dire (and I say this as someone who loves Gettysburg, and thinks it's one of the most underrated movies of that year), but those two songs were excellent.

Edited By dws1982 on 1211165730
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I know we're down to one last slot for 2003's Song category, but I found this list of eligible songs considered by the Academy at the time (not to say there aren't more that could be considered eligible for our purposes):

"Child Star Anthem" - Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star
"City Girl" - Lost in Translation
"Cross the Green Mountain" - Gods and Generals
"Fun, Fun, Fun" - The Cat in the Hat
"Girls Will Be Girls" - Girls Will Be Girls
"Glass, Concrete and Stone" - Dirty Pretty Things
"Going Home" - Gods and Generals
"Great Spirits" - Brother Bear
"The Heart of Every Girl" - Mona Lisa Smile
"Here's to Love" - Down With Love
"Here's Where I Stand" - Camp
"Into the West" - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
"A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" - A Mighty Wind
"Man of the Hour" - Big Fish
"A Mighty Wind" - A Mighty Wind
"The More I Look Inside" - Piglet's Big Movie
"No Way Out (Theme From Brother Bear)" - Brother Bear
"The Scarlet Tide" - Cold Mountain
"School of Rock" - School of Rock
"Siente Mi Amor" - Once Upon a Time in Mexico
"Time Enough For Tears" - In America
"We Can" - Legally Blonde 2: Red White & Blonde
"You Will Be My Ain True Love" - Cold Mountain
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ok, sounds good to me. :D
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know where imdb. gets its 1959 reference. This is a film with a troubled release pattern. It was was not shown in N.Y. until the Museum of Modern Art screened it in 1963. The N.Y. Times did not review it until it played the N.Y. Film Festival in 1968. However, Inside Oscar lists it as Oscar eligible for 1960 so it must have had a commercial release in L.A. some time that year.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Magilla, are you certain Lola Montès was released in the US in 1960? It's fully deserving of nominations for Color Cinematography, Color Art Direction, Color Costume Design...but IMDb lists its American release date as 1959.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

1944's The White Cliffs of Dover will be playing on TCM June 17 (sorry, FilmFan, I gave you the wrong date); it's pure wartime propaganda, but well-done, with strong performances from Irene Dunne, Gladys Cooper and the oh-so-sexy Alan Marshal. We may get to the 1944 race by then....

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

OscarGuy wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:I believe I saw The Fog of War commercially in L.A. at the end of 2003, because I remember it being one of the movies I saw when taking a break from studying for finals.

Also, OscarGuy, can I play during the 2003 round? I've definitely seen enough from that year.

Now, I don't want to discourage you from playing, but I can't keep adding you in and taking you out whenever you feel like you want to play. There are a lot of us who are playing and making preservations, rescues and replacements based on what we've seen or what is common agreement, without having seen everything. It's going to be a personal selection process anyway and most of us feel strongly about 80% of the changes we make. Heck, I've even made some additions and replacements that I thought for sure would piss a number of people off only to find out that others were in complete agreement.

I know you don't want to mess with stuff you aren't entirely familiar with, but I don't really think it's fair to the other players if you bounce in and out of the game.
Okay, well then, fine.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”