[NE] Nomination Elimination Game Reminder Lists

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well, it's not related to the current Palm Springs Film Festival that began in 1989.

I don't know, maybe it only lasted a few years, maybe it was a one time thing, maybe it was a special event. I tried to duplicate my research just now but came up empty. Anyway, here's the background on my original research.

Several years ago I was bugged by the imdb release date reference of December 12, 1936 in New York because I knew the film did not open in New York until January 22, 1937 and was reviewed by the NY Times following day, so I went to the Times archives and found a reference to Camille on the earlier date as having been presented at what I recall them referring to as a "festival" in Palm Springs on that date. That's all it was, just a one line reference.

If I find out more I'll let you know.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Magilla, I'd never heard of a Palm Springs Festival in 1936, and I have my ears open for this kind of stuff. Where can I find out more about this? I didn't realize there were any film festivals on this continent before World War II.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They all appear to be good.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ok, here are some more 1960 releases; Magilla, let us know if any of these do not qualify....

And Quiet Flows the Don
Carry On Nurse
Cash McCall
Circus of Horrors
Crowded Sky, The
Day They Robbed the Bank of England, The
Hidden Fortress, The
Idiot, The
I'm All Right Jack
Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail, The
Rickshaw Man, The
Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond, The
Strangers When We Meet
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

We agreed that if the L.A. date couldn't be verified we would go by the N.Y. date. The N.Y. ate can always be verified by doing a query on the New York Times website.

There is no fail safe source for L.A. opening dates but if a film is nominated in any category in a given year that's the year we must go by. Inside Oscar is a good source of notable films that were overlooked. With the exception of Red Dust, which was Oscar eligible in 1932/33, not 1931/32, you would be hard presssed to find an error there.

The problem with simply going by imdb's U.S. release date is taht the date given, while usually referring to a general wide release date, is sometimes just the date of an early festvial showing such as was the case with Camille which was premiered at the Palm Springs Festival in 1936 but not shown anywhere else until 1937. Sometimes they just plain get a date wrong as with Sullivan's Travels, which was never shown anywhere except in a critics' preview until 1942.

One film I've never found an L.A. date for is The Importance of Beign Earnest, which I know opened in N.Y. in 1952, but may well have been held back from L.A. until the following year as was often the case with British films of that period. However, absent of any verification to the contrary I consider it 1952 for our purposes.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Big Magilla wrote:We decided early on that we would go by Oscar eligibility which means adhering to L.A. release dates.
Ok, so, I'm trying to add films that might be overlooked, but how do I determine when a film was released in L.A.? IMDb usually only lists the N.Y. release date or a general U.S. release date.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

We decided early on that we would go by Oscar eligibility which means adhering to L.A. release dates.

I still maintain, however, that we should ignore silly Oscar ruels such as these:

Yi Yi (2001) disqualified because the producers didn't file papers with the Academy making their intention of being nominated known.

Scenes From a Marrriage (1974) disqualified because it had been shown on Swedish TV the year before - a rule that was overturned nine years later when Fanny & Alexander was declared eligible in 1983 having been shown on Swedish TV in 1982.

All the Way Home (1963) disqaulified because it only played six days in downtown L.A. instead of the requisitie 7.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Are we going by L.A.? I mean, this is really frustrating to me. Fuck. Can't we just use U.S. release. Hell, I'd prefer just to use the year in which a film was first shown in any theater anywhere in the world.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Keys of the Kingdom; Murder, My Sweet; National Velvet and To Have and Have Not were all 1945 in L.A.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Some more 1944 films:

Fighting Seabees, The
Follow the Boys
Four Jills in a Jeep
In Our Time
Marriage is a Private Affair
Ona zashchishchayet rodinu (aka No Greater Love; aka She Defends Her Country)
See Here, Private Hargrove
Shine On Harvest Moon
Up in Arms

Edited By Penelope on 1209953150

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Original BJ wrote:I believe I saw The Fog of War commercially in L.A. at the end of 2003, because I remember it being one of the movies I saw when taking a break from studying for finals.

Also, OscarGuy, can I play during the 2003 round? I've definitely seen enough from that year.

Now, I don't want to discourage you from playing, but I can't keep adding you in and taking you out whenever you feel like you want to play. There are a lot of us who are playing and making preservations, rescues and replacements based on what we've seen or what is common agreement, without having seen everything. It's going to be a personal selection process anyway and most of us feel strongly about 80% of the changes we make. Heck, I've even made some additions and replacements that I thought for sure would piss a number of people off only to find out that others were in complete agreement.

I know you don't want to mess with stuff you aren't entirely familiar with, but I don't really think it's fair to the other players if you bounce in and out of the game.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1209930769
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That's odd, I must have been thinking of something else because I did update my 2003 list to include The Fog of War. Sorry for the confusion.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Here's the Academy Reminder list for 2003
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The Fog of War had at least an LA release in late December of 2003. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been eligible for the Documentary Feature award, which requires a one week run for Documentary Feature contenders.

Edited By dws1982 on 1209925272
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I believe I saw The Fog of War commercially in L.A. at the end of 2003, because I remember it being one of the movies I saw when taking a break from studying for finals.

Also, OscarGuy, can I play during the 2003 round? I've definitely seen enough from that year.

Edited By The Original BJ on 1209923675

Return to “Other Film Discussions”