Classic Movie Newspaper Ads

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I just noticed one for The Godfather Part III from 1991, advertising the Oscar nominations.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Fascinating, I actually remember many of these.

The oldest ad seems to be from 1927 advertising The Jazz Singer with a small ad for The Student Prince in Old Heidleberg off to the side. The newest, An Officer and a Gentleman in 1983 after the 1982 Oscar nominations were announced.

Many of the 3os and 40s films were from reissues in the mid-50s when it was common for major films to be given major re-releases. One of the ads for Gone With the Wind is as late as 1974.

Note on page 14 that The Brave One, discussed just today in another thread, may have been an Oscar winner but it was such a non-hit that when it made it to neighborhood theatres it was as a second feature to a re-issue of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Ah, the film section of the newspaper. That, the TV section, and the comics were the only parts of the paper I enjoyed reading as a kid. I also tried to figure out how the hell you were supposed to play those card games in the newspaper... I still don't know.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Here's an endlessly fascinating album of newspaper advertisements and listings for films, from what looks like the 30s to the 70s: link.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Other Film Discussions”