Black Movie, Black Reel Awards, Image Awards...

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dreaMaker wrote:I mostly agree, but GLAAD awards are different, imho... I don't think we can compare gay rights and gay activism to black people rights. Simply because there are no more activism pointed at the black people.

What are you fucking kidding? I'm just not even going there. Get informed.

Edited By flipp525 on 1233176176
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Really? I think blacks in many sectors of the country would disagree with you. Sure, there's now a (half-)black president, but equality of portrayal is a long way away. It's getting there, but it's not done yet.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I mostly agree, but GLAAD awards are different, imho... I don't think we can compare gay rights and gay activism to black people rights. Simply because there are no more activism pointed at the black people.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The GLAAD awards serve a similar function, I believe. While, to many in the straight world, it may seem like there are suddenly gay people on every show, we're still a vastly under-represented group in film and television and often must contend with the same sort of stock, effiminate side character portrayals you might've found in a movie made in 1930.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I think these and other awards in which personal identiy is explicitly a criterion along with artistry are still very important. When images of minorities routinely go beyond the stereotypes and tokenism that is sadly still prevalent in our media landscape, then it may be time to retire these awards. We may have a black President but I don't think we're there yet in the film and television industries.

Edited By rain Bard on 1233170560
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Do you find those awards racistic and discriminant?
They only recognize black people. How would anyone feel if there was an award that 'don't allow' black people to get nominated/won?

Return to “Other Film Discussions”