Top 100 Westerns

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

MovieWes wrote:I hate Shane. It's one of the blandest, most overrated films I've ever seen and I don't get why people love it so much. Pretty much the only good thing about it was Jack Palance. I basically wanted to bitch-slap Brandon De Wilde everytime he was on-screen. What an annoying little kid. How that little fucker ever got an Oscar nomination for that irritating role is beyond me.
Ooh.

Shane is definitely one of the best westerns ever made, though my top pick would be The Searchers.

I loved Alan Ladd, Van Heflin and Brandon de Wilde and merely liked Jack Palnce. The one who seemed out of place to me was Jean Arthur.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:One big head-scratcher for me is noticing a nothing like Angel and the Badman coming in ahead of four great Anthony Mann films: Devil's Doorway, Bend of the River, the Naked Spur and the Man From Laramie. And though it's true I've never heard of, much less seen, a good number of these selections, I contend that any such list that includes Young Guns but refuses to acknowledge Dead Man or El Topo is dead to me.

I'm assuming you disqualify the Last Picture Show as a Western for the same reasons that some might question Bad Day At Black Rock, Thunderheart, Lonely Are the Brave or No Country For Old Men; wrong time period. But I'm having trouble understanding why the Treasure of Sierra Madre might not qualify as a Western. It fits every possible genre requirement I can think of off the top of my head.
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre takes place in 1925 Meixco - wrong time and place to qualify as a film about "the old West" which ended roughly around 1912.

Giant, of course, really isn't a "western" either. Bad Day at Black Rock, Thunderheart, Lonely Are the Brave and No Country for Old Men don't qualify either.

Young Guns on any list, let alone one that ignores Anthony Mann is a joke. Not only are the great Mann-Stewart westerns missing, but so is Man of the West as is The Hanging Tree, another great Gary Cooper's late career western.

Now if they had called this the best films set in the Western U.S. and Mexico... but even so, there is no justification for including The Last of the Mohicans on such a list.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I hate Shane. It's one of the blandest, most overrated films I've ever seen and I don't get why people love it so much. Pretty much the only good thing about it was Jack Palance. I basically wanted to bitch-slap Brandon De Wilde everytime he was on-screen. What an annoying little kid. How that little fucker ever got an Oscar nomination for that irritating role is beyond me.

However, the biggest issue I have with the top 10 is this: how in the hell did Kevin Fucking Costner get two films in the top 10? If anyone deserves two films in the top 10, it should be John Ford. Even Sergio Leone, Howard Hawks, or Clint Eastwood are more deserving of two films in the top 10 than Kevin Fucking Costner.

Edited By MovieWes on 1215296416
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Last Picture Show are not really westerns and there is nothing at all western about The Last of the Mohicans which takes palce in upsate New York. I guess they were confused by the Indians!
Does Giant also qualifies as a western? never would have thought that...

I like the inclusion (though quite high) of the 3:10 to Yuma remake, a film that I enjoyed so, so much, one of the more pleasent recent surprises.

Even in a contemporary scenario: Dances with Wolves over Unforgiven (the latter, the film that actually rescued the Western as a genre)??????
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

One big head-scratcher for me is noticing a nothing like Angel and the Badman coming in ahead of four great Anthony Mann films: Devil's Doorway, Bend of the River, the Naked Spur and the Man From Laramie. And though it's true I've never heard of, much less seen, a good number of these selections, I contend that any such list that includes Young Guns but refuses to acknowledge Dead Man or El Topo is dead to me.

I'm assuming you disqualify the Last Picture Show as a Western for the same reasons that some might question Bad Day At Black Rock, Thunderheart, Lonely Are the Brave or No Country For Old Men; wrong time period. But I'm having trouble understanding why the Treasure of Sierra Madre might not qualify as a Western. It fits every possible genre requirement I can think of off the top of my head.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The list kind of explains why there are so few good westerns being written these days. The writers themselves don't have a clue.

Shane, High Noon and The Searchers are a fine start, but then come Butch Cassidy and Dances With Wolves ahead of Red River and way ahead of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Ride the High Country.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Last Picture Show are not really westerns and there is nothing at all western about The Last of the Mohicans which takes palce in upsate New York. I guess they were confused by the Indians!
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Big Magilla wrote:WWA (Western Writers of America) Top 100 Westerns

1. Shane
... aaaand I pretty much checked out there.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

WWA (Western Writers of America) Top 100 Westerns

1. Shane
2. High Noon
3. The Searchers
4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
5. Dances with Wolves
6. The Wild Bunch
7. Red River
8. Tombstone