AFI's 36th Lifetime Achievement Award

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

By the way, I´d watched the ceremony yesterday. What an amazing speech gave Diane Keaton honoring their relationship and their performance regarding the station train´s scene in Reds.
I would like to know why this man didn´t film anymore.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The man just does not know how to give an acceptance speech. Always rambles!
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

At least, at 70, he is someone who has something of a lifetime behind him already.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Beatty honored with AFI career prize

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Warren Beatty had two words to describe his reaction at learning he would receive the American Film Institute's career honor: "Concealed weepiness."

Celebrating its 40th anniversary, the institute announced Thursday that the Academy Award-winning filmmaker and actor would be honored as the 36th recipient of its life-achievement award.

Beatty, 70, said he was told about the honor while heading with wife Annette Bening to an AFI anniversary lunch.

"It's a very good feeling. It's always nice to be accepted," Beatty told The Associated Press before the lunch. "I'm very happy to be part of and am actually quite proud to be a member of the film community."

The AFI award will be presented next June 12.

Beatty won the best-director Oscar for 1981's "Reds," which also earned him a best-actor nomination. He had three other nominations as best actor for "Bonnie and Clyde," "Heaven Can Wait" and "Bugsy."

Never a prolific filmmaker or actor, Beatty has not starred in a movie since 2001's flop "Town & Country" and has not directed since 1998's "Bulworth." Beatty said he does have a new film that he is writing and directing nearly ready to go, but would not discuss details.

"I'm on the verge right now. I approach it always from somewhat a combination of excitement and dread," said Beatty. "I find if I yak too much about it, it gives me a good excuse to put it off. For me, 'right on the verge' can mean decades."

Return to “Other Film Discussions”