Dolores Claiborne (Kathy Bates) in Dolores Claiborne
No votes
Other
20%

Total votes: 10

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I also forgot Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People and Dee Wallace in Cujo.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Voted Mommie Dearest. MIA: Kathleen Turner in Serial Mom.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Some others, both good and bad mothers, and an occasional funy one: Ruth Chatterton (and later, Gladys George) in Madame X; Billie Burke in Dinner at Eight, Merrily We Live and In This Our Life; Laura Hope Crews in The Silver Cord; Louise Beavers (and later, Juanita Moore) in Imitation of Life; Beulah Bondi in The Trail of the Lonesome Pine, Vivacious Lady, Of Human Hearts and Track of the Cat; Jane Darwell in The Grapes of Wrath; Sara Allgood in How Green Was My Valley; Gladys Cooper in Now, Voyager, The White Cliffs of Dover, The Valley of Decision and Separate Tables; Una O'Connor in This Land Is Mine; Ethel Barrymore in None But the Lonely Heart, The Spiral Staircase and The Farmer's Daughter; Mary Astor in Meet Me in St. Louis, A Kiss Before Dying and Return to Peyton Place; Dorothy McGuire in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Friendly Persuasion, Old Yeller and The Dark at the Top of the Stairs; Maureen O'Hara in Rio Grande and Only the Lonely; Thelma Ritter in The Mating Season; Jane Wyman in All That Heaven Allows; Eleanor Parker in Home From the Hill; Angela Lansbury in The Manchurian Candidate; Jean Simmons in All the Way Home; Marjorie Rhodes in The Family Way; Mildred Natwick in Barefoot in the Park; Joanne Woodward in Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams and Mr. & Mrs. Bridge; Geraldine Page in Interiors; Jane Alexander in Testament; Peggy Ashcroft in A Passage to India and Diane Keaton in The Family Stone.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1210424422
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I voted for Joan as Mildred.

Another favorite is Beulah Bondi in Remember The Night
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Irene Dunne in I Remember Mama.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

My own mom isn't much into Mother's Day: she prohibits us children from buying her gifts or buying her a card, recognizing the holiday as just another marketing creation, but she, naturally, doesn't mind a phone call from us.

There are so many classic movie moms to pick from; I've listed here some of my favorites, but feel free to name some of your own favorite movie moms.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Other Film Discussions”