Entertainment Pet Peeves

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Though, if you think of Time as a continuous fabric connected to all other demensions, then there would be points. If you think of Time as ever-changing, then there wouldn't be points. It depends on how you view the structure of time... and what you think sounds good in what should be an intelligent comment.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

cam wrote:Question to a politico: " Do You have any comment"
Answer: " I myself have no comment and have nothing to say at this particular moment in time"
Another one that dirves me up the wall. Time doesn't have points. Even if it did, it would be redundant to talk about points in time. Simply saying "at this time" will suffice.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

One of the things I can't stand about watching politicians, as well as the news: the supposed journalists ask meaningless question and the politicians give meaningless answers.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Question to a politico: " Do You have any comment"
Answer: " I myself have no comment and have nothing to say at this particular moment in time"
Question: " Do you mean 'no'?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Penelope wrote:Another pet-peeve: "up-talk," which is a generational phenomenon, particularly among young women, in which practically every statement is phrased in such a way that the end of the sentence appears to have a questioning tone, as if the person, while declaring something specific, is seeking approval for the statement. Then, add in the excessive usage of "like" and "you know" and gaaaahhhhh!
I think it's especially funny when stewie uses that type of talk on family guy
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Or "duh"("doh"). That's been around since I was a kid, and it disappeared for years and years only to be revised on The Simpsons, another show I don't watch.

On American Idol: "I dunno. I just went out there and had fun".
Oh, yeah, as if being judged by the Simon, the whole audience and millions at home would ever be fun.
Athletes use the term , too, when interviewed. To me, it usually means the opposite. To me it means "work"

Edited By cam on 1210355602
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Penelope wrote:Another pet-peeve: "up-talk," which is a generational phenomenon, particularly among young women, in which practically every statement is phrased in such a way that the end of the sentence appears to have a questioning tone, as if the person, while declaring something specific, is seeking approval for the statement.
Yes, I can't stand this? It's so debasing of oneself? And when you combine it with critical thinking, as is the example of one peer of mine in school, it makes it sound like you don't have opinions but are rather asking teacher if you're saying the right thing?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Another pet-peeve: "up-talk," which is a generational phenomenon, particularly among young women, in which practically every statement is phrased in such a way that the end of the sentence appears to have a questioning tone, as if the person, while declaring something specific, is seeking approval for the statement. Then, add in the excessive usage of "like" and "you know" and gaaaahhhhh!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

cam wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
cam wrote:What about "America's Most Smartest Model"?
Did anyone ever twig that the title might conceivably be bad grammar?

cam, that's, um, sort of the whole point.

Needless to say, I haven't seen it--I am surprised that someone actually has.
Cam, that was hilarious. I'm surprised anyone has even heard of it. I haven't, but then I tend to tone out most things having to do with alleged reality shows.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Zahveed wrote:
barrybrooks8 wrote:Also, I work in a video store (going on 12 years now...) and I cannot stand it when I hear customers say "That's supposed to be good." Oh really? It's supposed to be? Isn't every movie intended to be good you dumbass? I would much prefer a "I heard this was good", or "I read about this movie and I want to see it."

If they hear it's good, then supposedly it will be - thus, it's supposed to be good.
Nevertheless it is annoying.

My biggest peeve when it comes to movie recommnendations is when people say "oh, I'll have to see that" or "I'll have to rent that" and never do, they're just humoring you.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:"I'm here 24/7" instead of "I'm here twenty four hours a day, seven days a week" or simpley, "I'm here all the time."

Oh, Jesus, Magilla. There's dumbing down the English language and then there's acceptable slang. Everyone in the free world knows that "24/7" is referring to 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You're sort of being an old fogey on that one.

My pet peeves (although, the use of the term "pet peeves" is actually one of them) are:

- Idiotic people who use the non-word "irregardless".

- The expression "All's I'm saying is" which basically makes you sound like an uneducated fool.

- Over-reliance on the word "like".
While I agree with your references, those annoyances have been around for decades - I was concentrating on newer ones.

Old fogey or not, 24/7 may be acceptable slang, but it's an annoying, over-used expression, nonetheless.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

flipp525 wrote:

Needless to say, I haven't seen it--I am surprised that someone actually has.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

barrybrooks8 wrote:Also, I work in a video store (going on 12 years now...) and I cannot stand it when I hear customers say "That's supposed to be good." Oh really? It's supposed to be? Isn't every movie intended to be good you dumbass? I would much prefer a "I heard this was good", or "I read about this movie and I want to see it."
If they hear it's good, then supposedly it will be - thus, it's supposed to be good.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I will bet the title was intended to be wrong. It's kinda funny when you think about it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Film Discussions”