A question - Umm, help?

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mike Nichols -- Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf and The Graduate
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eight was a short film, so technically Daldy was nominated for his first two films, as was Joffe but Joffe had had more than twenty years experience as a TV director.

One who comes close is James L. Brooks, who was not only nominated for his first directorial effort in any medium (Terms of Enderment) but became only the fourth writer/producer/director (behind Leo McCarey, Billy Wilder and Francis Ford Coppola) to win all three catgegories for the same film. He was nominated for producing and writing his second amd fourth films (Broadcast News, AS God As It Gets) but failed to pick up director nods for either. In between thsoe two films, he directed the woeful I'll do Anything, which juding by his fifth and last (to date), the dreadful Spanglish, is probably true.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

dreaMaker wrote:I am curious.. Stephen Daldry directed only two movies so far. Is he the only director that received Best Directing Oscar nominations for both of his first films?
Daldry's first film was something called Eight (1988). So he received his nods for his second and third directorial efforts.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The equally dreadful Roland Joffe accomplished the same thing with The Killing Fields (1984) & The Mission (1986).

There are probably others but only Joffe comes to mind.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I am curious.. Stephen Daldry directed only two movies so far. Is he the only director that received Best Directing Oscar nominations for both of his first films?

Return to “Other Film Discussions”