Funniest scenes in films - Just the scene --not the whole picture

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

"Someone's going to have to go back to town and get a shitload of dimes"
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Greg wrote:I'm assuming everyone's referring to the Rosalind Russel Mame and not the Lucille Ball one.
OH yes! The Lucille Ball one was horrible!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:
Penelope wrote:George Kennedy and Alain Delon making "minor course adjustments" in The Concorde Airport '79 -- "Damn, I'd love to know what my horoscope said today!"

Actually, now that you mention it, everything about The Concorde Airport '79 is hilarious, including the sex scene between George Kennedy and Bibi Andersson (!), Cicely Tyson carrying around a heart for a transplant, Martha Raye's, "The bathroom broke," the unique and irresistible talents of Charo and the fact that even though the plane gets attacked twice all the passengers blithely re-board. It may be the flat-out funniest movie of the 1970s.
Definitely. In fact, I think The Concorde Airport '79 is a parody of the series before Airplane! even came along; poor Susan Blakely--she's the only one in the entire film taking it seriously (though her screaming into her tape recorder during the "minor course adjustments" is certainly classic comedy).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I'm assuming everyone's referring to the Rosalind Russel Mame and not the Lucille Ball one.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

flipp525 wrote:Meryl Streep takes the magic potion in Death Becomes Her. Then Isabella Rossellini pronounces, “Now, a warning.” Streep says, “NOW a warning?!” Gets me every single time. Hilarious delivery.

On the mark!

Also, the scene depicted in my avatar is always good for a laugh.

Edited By Eric on 1195494747
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I am laughing as I write, remembering some of the ones you guys came up with so far.
Particularly : Don't Talk -- from Bullets Over Broadway. Wonderful scene! And The Upsons scene in Mame!
Also the Penrith tearoom scene in Withnail and I.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Darth Vader screaming "Nooooo" at the end of Star Wars: Episode III
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Peter Sellers talking on the phone to the Soviet Premier in Dr. Strangelove.

Olympia Dukakis saying "I want you to know, no matter what you do, you're gonna die. Just like everybody else," in
Moonstruck.

The exploding hotel room in What's Up Doc?

The restaurant scene in Bringing Up Baby.

"Pattycake," in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

All the reactions to Dorothy Michaels taking off her wig inTootsie.

"Excuse me, while I whip this out," in Blazing Saddles.

Michael Palin losing his stutter while he steamroles Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda.

Trading orange juice futures in Trading Places.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:George Kennedy and Alain Delon making "minor course adjustments" in The Concorde Airport '79 -- "Damn, I'd love to know what my horoscope said today!"
Actually, now that you mention it, everything about The Concorde Airport '79 is hilarious, including the sex scene between George Kennedy and Bibi Andersson (!), Cicely Tyson carrying around a heart for a transplant, Martha Raye's, "The bathroom broke," the unique and irresistible talents of Charo and the fact that even though the plane gets attacked twice all the passengers blithely re-board. It may be the flat-out funniest movie of the 1970s.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

In line at the theater/Marshall McLuhan- Annie Hall

Much of Best in Show (Fred Willard's insane)- and along those lines, Jason Bateman in Dodgeball

"I took something" destroying of the copier- Office Space

Marge's interview with the hookers- Fargo

Vince Vaughn's explanation why he doesn't date- Wedding Crashers

The opening statue unveiling in City Lights
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The “Blaine stool sequence” in Waiting for Guffman.

“I’ll have what she’s having.” -- When Harry Met Sally. Classic.

Liev Schrieber shows up for his date with Steve Martin in Mixed Nuts.

Tom Hanks falls through the hole in Money Pit.

Tom Hanks eating the baby corn in Big.

Dustin Hoffman’s first audition in Tootsie as Dorothy Michaels.

Xanadu. Just absolutely everything about it.

“Sweet Transvestite”, The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Meryl Streep takes the magic potion in Death Becomes Her. Then Isabella Rossellini pronounces, “Now, a warning.” Streep says, “NOW a warning?!” Gets me every single time. Hilarious delivery.

Chris Farley explains the concept of auto parts sales in Tommy Boy using props.

Cathy Moriarty's true self is revealed in Soapdish.

“The stage directions were lucid. Best I've ever seen... and the color of the binder. Good choice.” Dianne Wiest in Bullets over Broadway

“Am I reaching for the stars here?” Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada.

Unintentionally hilarious: The HUGELY ORNATE funeral at the end of Imitation of Life put on for the unassuming, self-sacrificial Mammy-like character of Annie Johnson played by Juanita Moore.

Edited By flipp525 on 1195496031
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The crew 'on instruments' - Airplane!

And Barbara Billingsley -- "Miss, I speak jive."

In the camp category:

Karen Black in Airport 1975 -- "There's nobody flying the plane!"

George Kennedy and Alain Delon making "minor course adjustments" in The Concorde Airport '79 -- "Damn, I'd love to know what my horoscope said today!"
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The killer rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

The wicked Woman from the City enticing poor gullible George O'Brien with her scary dancing, or the drunken pig - Sunrise: a Song of Two Humans

Anytime Margaret Dumont burts into song - Duck Soup

Dennis Leary insulting old bitch Glynis Johns in The Ref - "I thought Mothers were sweet and nice and Patient... I know loan sharks who are more forgiving than you. Your husband ain't dead, lady. He's hiding.

'A-hunting we will go!' - The Palm Beach Story

The telephone scene - I Know Where I'm Going!

'Waterloo' scene - Muriel's Wedding

The crew 'on instruments' - Airplane!

Edited By rudeboy on 1195463581
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Almost any scene in The Bad Seed -- but most especially when Rhoda orates on why she, and not Claude Daigle, deserved the penmanship medal and her confrontation with LeRoy. Also, Eileen Heckert's two scenes as Claude Daigle's mother, Hortense Daigle.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “Other Film Discussions”