Funniest scenes in films - Just the scene --not the whole picture

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Oh Man, I just remembered how much did I laugh watching The Birdcage (the Williams/Lane version). The scenes where Williams is teaching Lane how to behave like a man is absolutely hilarious. First at the restaurant: The walking "ala John Wayne", the hand and the finger, the breakdown... later in the park: the handshake, the fighting... man, I thought I was going to die...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I love that moment, too, Flipp.

I'll add another of my favorite late-80s/early-90s comic moments something from Steel Magnolias.

:WARNING: :SPOILERS:

The scene where M'Lynn (Sally Field), Ouiser (Shirley MacLaine) and Clairee (Olympia Dukakis) are talking after after Shelby's funeral. Everyone's sad and depressed (and thanks to Roberts only transcendental performance, the audience is right there with them emotionally), the following conversation takes place:

M'Lynn: [crying] I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine.
[screaming]
M'Lynn: I'm fine! I can jog all the way to Texas and back, but my daughter can't! She never could! Oh God! I am so mad I don't know what to do! I wanna know why! I wanna know *why* Shelby's life is over! I wanna know how that baby will *ever* know how wonderful his mother was! Will he *ever* know what she went through for him! Oh *God* I wanna know *why*? *Why*? Lord, I wish I could understand!
[In a firm tone]
M'Lynn: No! No! No! It's not supposed to happen this way! I'm supposed to go first. I've always been ready to go first! I-I don't think I can take this! I-I don't think I can take this! I-I just wanna *hit* somebody 'til they feel as bad as I do! I just wanna *hit* something! I wanna *hit it hard*!
[continues sobbing]
Clairee: *Here*!
[Grabs Ouiser by the shoulder and positions her in front of M'Lynn]
Clairee: *Hit this*! Go ahead M'Lynn, *slap her*!
Ouiser Boudreaux: [Taken aback and confused] Are you crazy?
Clairee: *Hit her*!
Ouiser Boudreaux: *Are you high, Clairee*?
Ouiser Boudreaux: [In a frightened tone] Clairee, have you lost your mind?
Clairee: We'll sell t-shirts sayin' "I SLAPPED OUISER BOUDREAUX!" Hit her!
Annelle: [in a scared tone] Ms. Clairee, enoough!
Clairee: Ouiser, this is your chance to do something for your fellow man! Knock her lights out, M'Lynn!
Ouiser Boudreaux: [snatches away] Let go o' me!
Clairee: M'LYNN, YOU JUST MISSED THE CHANCE OF A LIFETIME! HALF O' CHIQUAPIN PARISH'LL GIVE THEIR EYE-TEETH TO TAKE A WHACK O' OUISER!

It was an intense moment. We went from crying to laughing. It was a fantastic cinematic scene...and if it weren't for these wonderful actresses, I don't know if it would have come off so well.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

In Fried Green Tomatoes (1991), two skanky bitches dressed in the worst early 90's fashion had to offer take Evelyn Couch's (Kathy Bates) parking space at the grocery store. She rolls down her window and kindly informs them that she'd been waiting for that space. One of the bitches intones, "Face it lady, we're younger and faster!" and then scampers off with her arm around her friend. Evelyn starts fuming and decides to take matters into her own hands. She smashes into their convertible. Then goes into reverse and smashes into it again. Repeats it four times. The two come out of the store screaming, "What are you doing?! Are you crazy?" To which Evelyn replies, "Face it girls, I'm older and I have more insurance." Fucking classic moment.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

flipp525 wrote:Jennifer Coolidge is back on nip/tuck for the season finale! "All I wanted was a little fat sucked from my lids. Now, I look like Liza on crack!"

I don't know to what degree Ryan Murphy is involved in Nip/Tuck these days but he's always loved himself some Liza.

Edited By Damien on 1203482880
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Jennifer Coolidge is back on nip/tuck for the season finale! "All I wanted was a little fat sucked from my lids. Now, I look like Liza on crack!"

Edited By flipp525 on 1203481800
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Eric wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Meryl Streep takes the magic potion in Death Becomes Her. Then Isabella Rossellini pronounces, “Now, a warning.” Streep says, “NOW a warning?!” Gets me every single time. Hilarious delivery.

On the mark!

The part I originally referenced above is at the end of the clip but, really, the whole scene's just awesome:

Death Becomes Her

Edited By flipp525 on 1203480155

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

"I drink your milkshake! Draaaiiiinage!" - There Will Be Blood
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Bullets over Broadway; Two words --"Don't speak!"
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I second the mentions of the scenes from Some Like It Hot, Bullets Over Broadway, The Great Race and Withnail and I.

Also

Meet the Parents - Ben Stiller's fight in the airplane.

California Suite - All the Maggie Smith - Michael Caine scenes

To Be Or Not to Be - Mel Brooks trying to figure out why a member of the audience is always leaving just as he is about to do his Hamlet monologue.

Life of Brian - The stonening scene

8 Femmes - Isabelle Hupperts hysteria

Little Voice - Michael Caine's breakdown

Amelie - Amelie's revenge

Rushmore - The student war play

Everyone Says I Love You - The patients start a song and dance number in the hospital

Four Weddings and a Funeral - Rowan Attkinson's first wedding ceremony

The Opposite of Sex - Any of the numerous one liners

Bridget Jones Diary - The whores - vicars party

Souffle Au Coeur

Grande Illussion - Trying to escape

Grande Vardouille - The Last scenes

I Heart Huckabees - The take-outs. The scenes that you can find at yotube when Lili Tomlin and the director flip out in turns, during filming
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Another funny scene that crossed by mind the other day was Debra Winger with a pigeon stuck to the side of her head in Forget Paris.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Right on about Coolidge! Everything I have seen her is has been a delight. Her Best In Show was wonderful. She seems to have found a niche in films. I hope she is allowed to grow in parts and not just be a one-dimensional comic diversion.

Edited By cam on 1196020427
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

another funny moment from the movie Mickey Blue Eyes: The vietnamit waitress ordering the client: Eat Cookie!

Edited By Hustler on 1195671752
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

paperboy wrote:Any scene that features Jennifer Coolidge in Best in Show and A Mighty Wind.
She also provided the funniest moments in For Your Consideration. I believe she is probably the funniest actress in America today.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I just realized this post was in the wrong forum. I've moved it under the film discussion since it's not Oscar-specific.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:
paperboy wrote:Any scene that features Jennifer Coolidge in Best in Show and A Mighty Wind.

Did you see Coolidge on the season premiere of nip/tuck as an actress on the “show-within-the-show” Hearts and Scalpels, playing a woman whose having part of her vagina grafted onto her lips? Hilarious. That woman doesn’t even have to try to be funny.
Did you know that such a story actually happened? An Army nurse disfigured in an accident had labial tissue from her vagina used to reconstruct her lips. Was made into a 1984 TV-movie, "Why Me?", starring Glynnis O'Connor, Armand Assante and Annie Potts.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Other Film Discussions”