Guilty Pleasures

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Akash wrote:Titanic, and Romeo and Juliet. Oh and The Beach.
Titanic and Romeo & Juliet are a couple of guilty pleasures of mine too, but more so because I'm a straight male.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

All Things Fair was an Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Film of 1995, but lost to Antonia's Line. Bo Widerberg's son Johan, who starred in it, is very hot.

Edited By Damien on 1195674827
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Titanic, and Romeo and Juliet. Oh and The Beach.

Ok, Leo basically.

Note: Brown kids go through that phase (usually in high school) where blond and blue eyed is the most beautiful thing we've ever seen. Thankfully some of us grow out of it.

Edited By Akash on 1195669977
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Let´s go to the thread point. Idon´t know if this is an excellent movie. What I know is the deep impact that I received after watching it.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I love a swedish movie directed by Bo Widerberg: All Things Fair. By the way, I hardly recommend it. The film provoked me all kind of feelings. I found it attractive to death. I think this is true art when some director manages succesfully to establish so intense communication with the audience.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Cool World (1992): Directed by Ralph Bakshi / Starring Kim Basinger, Gabriel Byrne, and Brad Pitt

This is probably the lowest rated movie I actually enjoy watching despite the horrible acting and poorly executed premise. The real novelty here is Bakshi's trademark animation and crude humor, not so much anything else. It was originally pitched to be an animated horror movie about an animator that has an illiegitimate half-human/half-cartoon daughter who attempts to kill him for making her what she is. That's obviously not what it turned out to be; the producer scrapped the idea and had it rewritten. It doesn't amount to his work from the 70's, but it's my guilty pleasure nonetheless.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Oh, man, The Pirate Movie (1982): a pop music update of Gilbert & Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance, directed by Ken Annakin (Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines); a hopelessly silly film that was barely released; Christopher Atkins proves that he has no acting (or singing) ability whatsover (but he's nice to look at in his skimpy outfits), while Kristy McNichol throws herself into her role with joyful abandon; some Gilbert & Sullivan songs are reworked with modern lyrics ("The Modern Major General's Song" references the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and S&M!), while the new songs range from blandly pleasant ballads to delightfully awful up-temp numbers ("Pumpin' & Blowin'" works in a variety of sexual innuendos, while "Happy Ending" skewers all those showstopping finales). One probably has to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy it, but I love it!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Talk about the films that you love despite rampant critical abuse and a general feeling of "why would you like something like that?". It should be a movie that you love in spite of your normal tastes but wouldn't be considered good by any traditional empirical measures. You just love it even though the rest of the world probably hates it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Film Discussions”