Guilty Pleasures

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

For the ultimate in guilty pleasures I can't go by the films of Doris Wishman.

Her best two films star Chesty Morgan, Deadly Weapons & Double Agent 73 (both 1974). In Deadly Weapons Chesty suffocates her attackers in the very large breasts. In Double Agent 73 she plays a spy who has a camera placed one of her breasts that she must remove from her top and lift to take a photo. Chesty Morgan is a formable presence.

Wishman's sixties work is also highly entertaining including Another Day, Another Night (1967), My Brother's Wife (1967), Indecent Desires (1966), and Bad Girls Go to Hell (1965).

Another funny aspect of Wishman's work is that most of these films were all filmed in the same New York apartment.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

MovieWes wrote:For me, it's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Nobody really seems to like it, but I think it's one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen. But then again, I'm a very big Hunter S. Thompson fanboy (the book is one of my all-time favs too).
I love that movie. I didn't even consider it a guilty pleasure.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

My guilty pleasure is Rent. Everyone hated the film, and it was panned, but I really enjoyed it. And another thing, as I dislike musicals, to me Rent is the best ever. So more over Sound of Music and all the other ones.

Edited By jack on 1205789469
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead. I just fucking love it. Every second of it, particularly Joanna Cassidy's brilliant supporting turn.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

For me, it's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Nobody really seems to like it, but I think it's one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen. But then again, I'm a very big Hunter S. Thompson fanboy (the book is one of my all-time favs too).

Edited By MovieWes on 1205770724
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I can't stand Truman Capote in Murder by Death and I hated the silly multiple endings, but the parodies of the classic film detectives are a treat. The trailer for the film is one of my favorites.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

To me the funniest thing about Murder By Death is that Truman Capote received a Golden Globe nomination for Most Promising Newcomer (and he lost to Arnold Schwarzenegger).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

That's because you must be an idiot...you can no longer be a FilmFan720ite. :p

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1205274272
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

FilmFan720 wrote:Neither Murder by Death or Noises Off are guilty pleasures.
If I liked Murder By Death, I'd certainly feel guilty about it. :p
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

FilmFan720 wrote:After catching part of it on TV last night, and never being able to turn it off, I would put Dirty Dancing on my list.
Add to that

Karate Kid
Adventures In Babysitting
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Neither Murder by Death or Noises Off are guilty pleasures.

After catching part of it on TV last night, and never being able to turn it off, I would put Dirty Dancing on my list.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Clue is great. If anyone says otherwise, I'll kill you in the ballroom with the rope.

That's right, the rope.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow. A fellow Murder by Death fan! I love that movie. I'm a huge murder mystery fan and the two murder mystery comedies that I adore are Murder by Death and Clue.

Don't feel guilty about liking Stage Beauty. I gave it four stars. It was easily one of the best films of its year. Matter of fact, I think critics mostly fell on the like, if not love, side of that film.

And Noises Off is BRILLIANT. I've only seen it once (I want to see it again), but I don't often laugh so hard or for as long as I did watching that film.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

If those are possibilities, I'll second your likes on Grease, Reality Bites and My Best Friend's Wedding... But I'm not sure they actually qualify as guilty pleasures. Grease is a very well liked picture, it was a huge comercial success and right now is iconographic enough. Reality Bites is another well received fim that clicked with young audiences and it's a nice portrait of the so-called Generation X. A smart film if I might say so. And I'm sure My Best Friend's Wedding has a lot of support, another commercial hit, with good performances (Roberts and Everett were nominated at the Globes, and there is a lot of people who would had liked to see him scoring a nod at the Oscar).

As Wes said, "It should be a movie that you love in spite of your normal tastes but wouldn't be considered good by any traditional empirical measures. You just love it even though the rest of the world probably hates it". The film actually gives you some kind of plasure but while you're on it you also might feel guilty cause you can't find a reason for you to like it!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Speaking of guilty pleasures. Here are mediocre movies, that i never miss, when they are on TV.

Showgirls
Euroflirt
The Circle of Friends
Grease
Reality Bites
My Best Friend's Wedding
Star!
Wimbleton
Sabrina (the 1995 version)
Love Me If You Dare
Stage Beauty
Peter's Friends
Murder by Death

and finally California Suite which is a bad movie that has one of the best duets in cinema history: Maggie Smith/Michael Caine, absolutely hilarious and heartbreaking.

also 5 movies that are on my top10 (or in some cases top5) of their year, but nobody seems to care about

1. Dead Poets Society
2. Noises Off
3. To Be Or Not to Be (Mel Brooks version)
4. Muriel's Wedding
5. Withnail and I

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1205258677

Return to “Other Film Discussions”