Guilty Pleasures

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Guilty Pleasures... the pictures that we don't mention cause otherwise we can loose all respect! LOL... here are mines
- The Craft (too girly)
- Empire Records (Liv Tyler & Renee Zelwegger in a cat fight!)
- Threesome (the best of the bunch)
- The Cutting Edge (way too corny!)
- Legally Blonde (I even own this on DVD!)

The first four, don't know, maybe it's because I grew up watching them with some friends... but man, I know I can still like them, just for the momeries...

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1205255804
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

flipp525 wrote:Others:
Chapter Two
Ah, good ol' Neil Simon... :)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Glitter is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine. It's almost so bad that it's good.

Mommie Dearest is a cult favorite and can never be watched too many times (especially the montage videos they do in any number of gay bars). They do a great one set to Mamma Mia at JR's on 17th Street.

Others:
Drop Dead Gorgeous
The Fluffer
To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday
Trick
Circuit
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Chapter Two
Jacquelline Sussan's Once Is Not Enough
Voyage of the Damned
Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theater collection (I have them all!)...especially Tatum O'Neal as Goldilocks, Mary Steenbergen as Little Red Riding Hood and Pam Dawber/Treat Williams in The Little Mermaid

Edited By flipp525 on 1197060867
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

I am really tempted to say Forrest Gump (despite it's Best Picture win, it's amazing how many people absolutely despise this film). It was a great read, and Eric Roth translated it to the screen pretty darn well compared to what direction he could have taken it in. Many people find Tom Hanks' performance nothing but a mockable country accent... . But despite all of that, I love the integration of Forrest into the multiple historical scenes and film bits. I thought it was well-executed, and sometimes, it just warms the heart. :D I just can't get tired of it.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Goddamn it. I was so comfortable in the land of discontent with you. Morrison is the most splendid living American author and I'm always humbled and moved when reading her novels. I love them all (yes, even Love) but my absolute favorites are Beloved, The Bluest Eye, Sula and Tar Baby.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Akash wrote:Ha Ha. The Bluest Eye is one of my favorite novels -- and Morrison one of my favorite authors -- of all time Flipp.

We're back to agreeing again. I think Toni Morrison is one of the greatest writers living today. Reading one of her novels is a virtually transcendent experience. Beloved is definitely one of the best pieces of fiction in the last twenty years. Song of Solomon, The Bluest Eye, Paradise and the aforementioned Beloved are my favorites.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196795521
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Ha Ha. The Bluest Eye is one of my favorite novels -- and Morrison one of my favorite authors -- of all time Flipp.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Akash wrote:Note: Brown kids go through that phase (usually in high school) where blond and blue eyed is the most beautiful thing we've ever seen. Thankfully some of us grow out of it.

Is that right around the time when you first read The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison?

Mixed Nuts (1994). I just love everything about it. My sister and I went to see it two times in the theaters when it first came out. I even convinced my friend and his mom to use AMC gift certificates to see it and they both hated me on the car ride home. While everyone lambasted it, we just totally lapped it all up. The premise: when a motley crew of "losers" assembles at a crisis hotline during the mysterious Santa Ana winds on Christmas Eve, hilarity ensures while everyone tries to escape a serial killer (played by Gary Shandling). From Rita Wilson's awful, overly-wrought performance as a self-proclaimed spinster to Liev Shrieber's performance as a sultry-voiced drag queen, this movie has so many hilarious moments and wonderful characters, it makes it well worth popping in every Christmas. I especially love Madeline Kahn's performance which turns out to be one of the best things about the whole movie. The moment when Rita Wilson re-gifts her the fruitcake she bought her last year is comedy gold. Guilty pleasure, indeed.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196782292

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

After listening Rose Tint My World this morning, I have to say that Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of my guilty pleasures. It's a raucous blend of homage and parody. The music is insanely catchy and it speaks to a "live free" mentality that most films only conservatively espouse.

And, though Frankenfurter is a villain, Tim Curry gives it such flair and passion that his "I'm Going Home" is perhaps one of the most sympathetic and mournful songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Them! isn't really a guilty pleasure. It's one of the most revered science fiction films of the 1950s, and rightly so.

I'm not sure The Bad Seed qualifies either - it does contain three Oscar nominated performances one of which won the Golden Globe. You can always claim you're watching it for its historical value. :O

I don't think Charlie Chain and The Bowery Boys are considered guilty pleasures any more either. There was a time not long ago when ever I mentioned Charlie Chan people would roll their eyes, but Fox's stellar restoration work on all the Warner Oland titles complete with scholarly documentaries have given at least the Oland films new legitimacy. They're now working on the early Sidney Toler titles produced by Fox, which were almost as good. Neat little mysteries in which the wise Oriental (they didn't say Asian in the 30s) detective ingeniously solves cases with his no. 1 or 2 or 3 or 5 son or no. 1 daughter at his side. Had the series lasted a few more years I suspect all 1 of his children would have entered the family business.

I also like Boris Karloff's Mr. Wong's movies.

If I had to name one film I like that no one else does, it would probably be Can't Stop the Music. This fictionalized biography of the forming of the Village People is hilarious from beginning to end with Steve Guttenberg, Valerie Perrine, Bruce Jenner, Barbara Rush, the Village People themselves and various other actors and would-be actors that have no business being in the the same film, all under the direction of Rhoda's pint sized mom, former musical comedy star Nancy Walker. Hairspray's anthem, "You Can't Stop the Beat", shamelessly rips off the title tune.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Most people would roll their eyes, but I have no guilt over loving the Bowery Boys, Blondie, Falcon, Charlie Chan and Andy Hardy pictures.

But here are 10 truly awful movies that are nonetheless completely irresistible:

The Bad Seed (Mervyn LeRoy) -- A straight-faced movie completely bereft of logic; nothing makes sense (most particularly the florid dialogue which sounds as if it comes from a parallel universe) and if you didn't know beter you'd think it was directed by Bunuel. But it's hard to think of another movie that is just such flat-out fun to watch

Berserk! (Herman Cohen) -- Gruesome murders in a British circus serves as a deconstruction of the ethos of Joan Crawford, playing the ringmaster who introduces "Intelligent Poodles" to a Pepsi-drinking audience and gets it on with Ty Hardin, who was 25 years younger than she

Butterfly (Matt Cimber) -- To understand just how singular this film is, suffice it to say that Pia Zadora is far from the worst thing about it; you haven't lived til you've seen Orson Welles's nutzoid (Golden Globe-nominated) performance as a bemused judge

The Concorde: Airport ’79 (David Lowell Rich) -- Martha Raye gets soaked when she's in the bathroom and the plane turns upside down

The Food Of The Gods (Bert I. Gordon) -- Marjoe Gortner is your hero, the special effects consist of off-camera stage hands throwing rats at miniature cardboard houses and Ida Lupino emotes as if she thought she were still filming The Hard Way

The Love Machine (Jack Haley, Jr.) -- I don't think I've ever heard an audience laugh as much as I did when I saw this Jacqueline Susann adaptation in Nantucket on 1971. It makes Valley Of The Dolls seem like a Bresson film by comparison. Suffice it to say that the best performance comes from Shecky Green, although David Hemmings as the fag from hell undoubtedly stunted my development as a teenager dealing with my sexuality

Mandingo (Richard Fleischer) -- As if the hot house bodice-ripping ante-Bellum miscegenation/black power stuff isn't gloriously ludicrous enough as it is, Mr. Bentley from The Jeffersons (Paul Benedict) has to show up.

Miracle Of the Bells (Irving Pichel) -- All about the miracle of having a dead ingenue's movie getting a release date, with priest Frank Sinatra giving it his blessing. The mind boggles

Mystery Date (Jonathan Wacks) -- Guilty because it's the umpteenth stupid movie about an awkward-but-nice horny kid trying to get laid; Pleasure becauuse said kid is Ethan Hawke at his most beguiling

The Oscar (Russell Rouse) -- ""You lie down with pigs, you come up smelling like garbage." - Tony Bennett as Hymie Kelly

Edited By Damien on 1195836381
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

cam wrote:A science fiction film from the fifties that I watch whenever it is on--even in the middle of the night--for a big laugh:
"Them!" made in about 1954, a story of giant ants crawling in the LA Aqueducts, mutated by bomb tests in the desert--starred James Arness and Edmund Gwenn, I recall. Some people find this fim a "classic" : I fail to see why.

Good choice, cam. Them! is a lot of fun. I haven't see it in a long time but one thing that stuck with me was the female scientist. She was very smart and good at her job but she was also very beautiful. A male character hit on her a few times but she cut him down with clever put downs. And I never had the impression that her character was in any way negative. There was never the suggestion that she was a cold frigid bitch or a lesbian. She was just there to do her job and the male characters just accepted her. I thought all of that was amazing for a film made in the 1950's (or the 1960's, 70's, 80's, 90's or today).

Edited By kaytodd on 1195797101
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Akash wrote:Note: Brown kids go through that phase (usually in high school) where blond and blue eyed is the most beautiful thing we've ever seen. Thankfully some of us grow out of it.
.....which reminds me that somebody should tell brown / dark people that they look horrendous when they color their hair blonde.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

A science fiction film from the fifties that I watch whenever it is on--even in the middle of the night--for a big laugh:
"Them!" made in about 1954, a story of giant ants crawling in the LA Aqueducts, mutated by bomb tests in the desert--starred James Arness and Edmund Gwenn, I recall. Some people find this fim a "classic" : I fail to see why.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

One of mine would be Single White Female. Trashy melodrama with a bogus psychological explanation for the killer's behavior. It also has the standard gay male friend for the heroine. But I enjoyed that film a lot when it came out and have seen it many times since. Part of it is probably because I enjoyed seeing Bridget Fonda and Jennifer Jason Leigh naked and the film kept raising my hopes that they would get it on.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Return to “Other Film Discussions”