10 Best and Worst celebrity autographers

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Alan Alda was extremely gracious while signing for me outside a stage door in London after a performance of Our Town. I got Russell Crowe before he became ''Russell Crowe''. This was during the days he made that western with Sharon Stone. And I got Halle Berry when she was ''grovelling'' in Hollywood - much before the Oscar or ''Bond'' status!

However, it is true that most actors avoid signing after becoming ''big''. The Brits are an exception to this rule as most are very civil when giving autographs. Vanessa Redgrave, in person, only signs one item - she told me it was too much like work. Although later she signed many items I sent her in the mail.

I want Jack!!!!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

According to, um, Autograph Collector magazine:

Johnny Depp Named Top Autograph Signer

Monday May 15, 2006 9:00am EST
By Stephen M. Silverman
Johnny Depp
People Magazine

When it comes to offering up John Hancocks, Johnny Depp is the most generous celeb – and Cameron Diaz, the most stingy.

According to a new list from Autograph Collector magazine, the Pirates of the Caribbean star is the kindest to fans requesting his signature, followed by George Clooney. This is the second consecutive time that Depp has topped the publication's rankings.

"Many stars become bad signers once fame and fortune hits, but not Depp," Steve Cyrkin, editor and publisher of the Santa Ana, Calif.-based magazine, told the Associated Press. "He's even signed autographs for crowds at the airport while carrying luggage."

Clooney also offers something beyond penmanship. "He'll joke as he signs, and make fun of how he looks in photos he's handed to autograph," Cyrkin said.

On the other hand, Cameron Diaz "may be a talented actress, but she's persistently a terrible signer. Instead of just turning down a person's autograph request, she'll lecture them about how dumb autographs are."

Perennial bad boy Russell Crowe has been nicer to fans of late, Cyrkin also said.

10 Best

1. Johnny Depp
2. George Clooney
3. Matt Damon
4. Al Pacino
5. Tom Cruise
6. Angelina Jolie
7. Elijah Wood
8. Brittany Murphy
9. Jack Nicholson
10. Clint Eastwood

10 Worst