Rare Films - Can anyone help me?

flipp525
Laureate

Re: Rare Films - Can anyone help me?

Post by flipp525 »

This is a great thread.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's also available from Amazon. us as an import.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Given Word is available on DVD in France with English subtitles.

DaaVeeDee sometimes have it in stock, though not currently.

Or you can purchase it from Amazon's French site:

https://www.amazon.fr/parole-donnée-Leo ... lmo+duarte
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Anyone know where I can find O Pagador de Promessas (The Given Word)?

Thank you!
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Movielover wrote:I received A Cage of Nightingales from Zeus DVDs in the mail.

It has no English subtitles, so it is still on my unseen Movie list.

Darn it... I thought Zeus would help me here. I do think he should say on his site that there are NO English subtitles for this movie. I mean, for most people, it becomes a pointless DVD.

But for those of you fluent in French, you can order this film from Zeus DVDs.
I'm not surprised it had no subtitles. As I stated below I had had a bad experience with Zeus and to be frank didn't trust them when it came to provided copies of foreign films with English subtitles unless they were on the source of their DVDs.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Movielover wrote:I received A Cage of Nightingales from Zeus DVDs in the mail.

Darn it... I thought Zeus would help me here. I do think he should say on his site that there are NO English subtitles for this movie. I mean, for most people, it becomes a pointless DVD.

You could watch The Chorus, the 2004 remake to get the gist of the story.
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

I received A Cage of Nightingales from Zeus DVDs in the mail.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I found The Blue Veil streaming free at this site, but you have to register in order to watch.

https://movietao.com/online-movies/372855-the-blue-veil
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mateo wrote: I found The Dark at the Top of the Steps here: https://ok.ru/video/83555912258

Lansbury is MVP in my book.
Thanks, Mateo.

That one's been there since July of last year without being taken down. Hopefully it will be there long enough for everyone here who's interested to catch up with it.

Lansbury's good, but Eve Arden is even better IMO.
Mateo
Graduate

Post by Mateo »

Reza wrote:
Movielover wrote:Big Magilla,

If The Dark at the Top of the Stairs is on YouTube, I surely cannot find it there. Would you mind posting it in a link below?

Also, does TCM play this one?

Thanks!
I saw this on YouTube fairly recently but I noticed just now they have taken it off.
I found The Dark at the Top of the Steps here: https://ok.ru/video/83555912258

Lansbury is MVP in my book.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Movielover wrote:Big Magilla,

If The Dark at the Top of the Stairs is on YouTube, I surely cannot find it there. Would you mind posting it in a link below?

Also, does TCM play this one?

Thanks!
I saw this on YouTube fairly recently but I noticed just now they have taken it off.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The matron was the inimitable Esther Dale, who two years earlier starred in Broadway's Carrie Nation supported by James Stewart, Mildred Natwick and Joshua Logan. Two years later she was Ralph Bellamy's mother in The Awful Truth. She was in many films and early TV shows in supporting roles both big and small and always a pleasure to encounter.

Colbert was a double-threat in 1935. She also had one of her best comic roles in The Gilded Lily opposite Fred MacMurray and Ray Milland.

Hepburn was the only other nominee I would have considered, even though Alice Adams has never been of my favorites of hers. Her five wins in my opinion should have been for Little Women, The Philadelphia Story, Summertime, Long Day's Journey Into Night and The Lion in winter.

My other 1935 nominees were Greta Garbo in Anna Karenina, a shocking omission, Madeleine Carroll in The 39 Steps and Ginger Rogers in Top Hat with Margaret Sullavan in The Good Fairy just missing the cut.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Many thanks for the direct to Private Worlds, which hadn't been on YouTube the last time I looked. (Quick reaction: with all the wonderful performances Colbert gave that weren't nominated -- Midnight, Smiling Lieutenant, The Palm Beach Story -- they nominated her for this drivel?)
It doesn't hold up very well, but Colbert's performance is still my favorite of the year's very weak nominees. I still maintain that Myrna Loy should have won the 1934 Best Actress Oscar for The Thin Man and that Colbert should have gotten a makeup award for Private Worlds and Bette Davis who won the most famous makeup award in movie history for Dangerous shouldn't have even been nominated.
You'd seriously rate Colbert's performance here over Katharine Hepburn in Alice Adams? I think Alice Adams is a better film/Hepburn performance than any of her four wins, and ranks alongside Summertime as her most deserving nomination (I know many would put Long Day's Journey in there, too, but I've always found that a problematic performance).

Colbert barely seems to be the star of Private Worlds -- Boyer/Joan Bennett/even the matron seem to gobble up valuable screen time, leaving Colbert practically secondary. I also simply prefer her comic gifts to this thin-gruel drama.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:The Blue Veil is involved in a copyright dispute. Occasionally someone will post it on YouTube, but as soon as YouTube discovers it, they take it down, so you have to keep checking. Currently, there's a four minute clip featuring Wyman with Everett Sloane, Harry Morgan and Audrey Totter that you can watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtd25vKPHzc
I was lucky enough to see The Blue Veil back in the 1990s on the big screen at a repertory cinema.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Many thanks for the direct to Private Worlds, which hadn't been on YouTube the last time I looked. (Quick reaction: with all the wonderful performances Colbert gave that weren't nominated -- Midnight, Smiling Lieutenant, The Palm Beach Story -- they nominated her for this drivel?)
It doesn't hold up very well, but Colbert's performance is still my favorite of the year's very weak nominees. I still maintain that Myrna Loy should have won the 1934 Best Actress Oscar for The Thin Man and that Colbert should have gotten a makeup award for Private Worlds and Bette Davis who won the most famous makeup award in movie history for Dangerous shouldn't have even been nominated.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”