Re: Potential WGA Strike

Post by Greg »

Hollywood dodges writers’ strike:

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... ke-reports
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: Potential WGA Strike

Post by The Original BJ »

Greg wrote:My main question is, if there is another strike, whether the WGA will allow the same exceptions they did with their strike ten years ago.
I have absolutely no idea. This is pretty far from the main question anyone involved in this situation is asking at the moment.
Greg
Tenured

Potential WGA Strike

Post by Greg »

So, if the WGA and AMPTP (Alliance Of Motion Picture And Television Producers) fail to bridge their differences in the current contract negotiations by May 1, there could very well be another Writer's Strike.

My main question is, if there is another strike, whether the WGA will allow the same exceptions they did with their strike ten years ago. That is, the WGA gave its blessing for any writer, even a WGA-signatory writer, to work during the strike for any company that signed the WGA contract independently of the AMPTP. It was called a "divide and conquer" strategy where companies that signed with WGA would have a competitive advantage in that they could do scripted work where companies that stuck with the AMPTP could not.

The David Letterman Show was able to air new episodes during the strike because Letterman's Worldwide Pants company signed the contract, although this only benefited writers on Letterman's staff; however, United Artists also signed the contract, so, I assume that all writers were free to submit spec scripts to UA during the strike.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”