1974 Harvard Lampoon Movie Worst Awards

1895-1999

Of those you've seen, what was the worst fiml on Harvard Lamppoon's 1974 list of worst films?

Lenny
No votes
S*P*Y*S
29%
Harry & Tonto
No votes
Airport 1975
14%
Blazing Salles
No votes
The Night Porter
No votes
The Trial of Billy Jack
No votes
Murder on the Orient Express
No votes
Daisy Miller
No votes
The Front Pge
57%

Total votes: 7

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: 1974 Harvard Lampoon Movie Worst Awards

Post by Reza »

The Night Porter is a masterpiece. It's the kinky subject matter along with the Nazo angle that dodn't go down well with American critics.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Re: The Night Porter: Rumor has it that when Dirk Bogarde walked out in full Nazi regalia while filming in Austria he was afraid of a potential negative reaction. Ironically, the people who saw him applauded.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I couldn't vote for Airport '75 because it's such a camp classic favorite of mine. I love Karen Black's walk through Dulles Airport in the beginning which is one of the airports of my childhood (and was partly designed by my uncle). I ran into a group of gay men at Winter Party in Miami seven years ago who were dressed up (in drag) as the cast of Airport '75, down to the last stitch. It was absolutely incredible.

And The Night Porter is great stuff! Charlotte Rampling is simply haunting in it.

I'll vote for the unnecessary The Front Page remake as well.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:I can't vote as I have never seen S*P*Y*S.
Nor have most people. That's why the vote is for the worst film you've seen from among the nominees.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Heksagon wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The-Curse-of-the-Living-Corpse Award: Gloria Swanson, an actress only slightly older than the mountains she is imperiled above in Airport 1975
This would be so politically incorrect these days.
Yes, especially since she's no longer living. :(
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I can't vote as I have never seen S*P*Y*S but of the remaining nominees Airport '75 would get my vote.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Big Magilla wrote:The-Curse-of-the-Living-Corpse Award: Gloria Swanson, an actress only slightly older than the mountains she is imperiled above in Airport 1975
This would be so politically incorrect these days.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My award goes Billy Wilder's embarrassingly bad remake of The Front Page.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1974 Harvard Lampoon Movie Worst Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Other 1974 Harvard Lampoon Movie Worst Awards:

Kirk Douglas Award for Worst Actor: Burt Reynolds, The Longest Yard
Natalie Wood Award for Worst Actress: Julie Andrews, The Tamarind Seed
The Exhausted Udder (presented by the Dairy Farmers Association in recognition of attempts to milk every penny possible from a marketable idea): To the producers of Our Time, Macon County Line, The Lords of Flatbush and Buster and Billie for trying to eke piquancy from an era as colorless as the tag on a pair of over-laundered pedal pushers.
The Victor Mature Memorial Award (for the most embarrassing line of dialogue): George Kennedy's astute remark in Earthquake, "Earthquakes bring out the worst in people."
The-Curse-of-the-Living-Corpse Award: Gloria Swanson, an actress only slightly older than the mountains she is imperiled above in Airport 1975.
The Merino Award: Maureen O. McGovern, the curtailing of whose adipose warbling in The Poseidon Adventure and now The Towering Inferno excuses in part the effects of the disasters that follow.

Return to “The First Century”