1983 Harvard Lampoon Movie Worst Awards

1895-1999

What was the worst movie of 1983 you've seen from Harvard Lampoon's list of the year's worst?

Silkwood
No votes
Terms of Endearment
No votes
Mr. Mom
17%
Sudden Impact
No votes
National Lampoon's Vacation
33%
Broadway Danny Rose
No votes
Return of the Jedi
17%
Twilight Zone: The Movie
No votes
Yentl
17%
Flashdance
17%

Total votes: 6

flipp525
Laureate

Re: 1983 Harvard Lampoon Movie Worst Awards

Post by flipp525 »

Precious Doll wrote:Mind you, the Steven Spielberg segment of Twilight Zone is probably the only really dreadful piece of film making represented here. If I recall it was called 'Kick the Can' or something like that. Twilight Zone was only salvaged by the George Miller and to a lesser extent Joe Dante contributions.
Yep, that's it. So shmaltzy and weak. Definitely the worst segment and deserving of an award here.

I was very disturbed as a child by the Kathleen Quinlan portion of the film.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'll pass on this year. Mr. Mom & Flashdance certainly are far from good but they are not BAD and deserving of a vote, though the X Rated spoof of Flashdance called Fleshdance was better than the Adrian Lynne film.

Mind you, the Steven Spielberg segment of Twilight Zone is probably the only really dreadful piece of film making represented here. If I recall it was called 'Kick the Can' or something like that. Twilight Zone was only salvaged by the George Miller and to a lesser extent Joe Dante contributions.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I haven't seen more than a few minutes of Mr.Mom so I can't vote for it, but I can vote for Flashdance which I found a stupefying bore.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1983 Harvard Lampoon Movie Worst Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Before there were the Razzies, there were the Harvard Lampoon Movie Worst Awards which from 1939-1983 (1942, 1943, 1947 excepted) provided a wry look at the year's output in film.

Unlike the Razzies, which generally go to really bad movies, the Harvard Lampoon awards usually went to films that that were wrapped in self-importance.

I thought it might be fun to take a poll concurrent with the screenplay awards to vote on what we in 2015 and beyond see as the worst of each year and how close our consensus gets to that of the elite Harvard Lampoon membership.

Films will be listed in the order in which the Harvard Lampoon considered them bad (the first being the worst).

I will do 1983, 1982, 1981, 1980, 1979 and 1978 in quick succession to get caught up with the years being discussed in Screenplay awards threads. You will be surprised by how many of Oscar's bests overlap with Harvard Lampoon's worst.

I will also list outside of the poll the individual awards bestowed each year.

For 1983:

Kirk Douglas Award for Worst Actor: Al Pacino, Scarface

Natalie Wood Award for Worst Actress: Natalie Wood, Brainstorm

The Junior High Prom Thermonuclear Weaponry Award: WarGames

The Eli Yale Award for Extracirricular Activities: Jennifer Beals, Flashdance; Jodie Foster, The Hotel New Hampshire

The Title Most Overtly Evocative of Genitalia While Maintaining a PG Rating: Octopussy

The Charles M. Schultz Overcommercialization Award: Stephen King

Return to “The First Century”