The subversive St. Patrick's Day classic

1895-1999
Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: The subversive St. Patrick's Day classic

Post by Heksagon »

Greg wrote:John Wayne starring in The Quiet Man reminds me of a TV show I saw where Gore Vidal discussed a homosexual allusion during the filming of Ben Hur that completely went over Charlton Heston's head.
The funny thing is that Ben Hur and Massala are portrayed completely differently in the 20s silent version. I don’t know if the makers of that film intended there to be any homosexual allusion, but I got the feeling that where as Charlton Heston’s Ben Hur was obviously the masculine part in the relationship, Ramon Novarro’s Ben Hur would have been something else. (I guess there are people here who know the proper terminology, but you should get my idea)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

John Wayne was bisexual at the very least. Bill balls. Tiny cock. Old story in Hollywood that has been out there for years. He did not like to bottom but did it when it helped his career (in the mid to late 30's).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:John Wayne starring in The Quiet Man reminds me of a TV show I saw where Gore Vidal discussed a homosexual allusion during the filming of Ben Hur that completely went over Charlton Heston's head.
The difference is that The Quiet Man went over everyone's head. The attraction between Ben-Hur and Messala was fairly obvious to everyone except Heston.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

John Wayne starring in The Quiet Man reminds me of a TV show I saw where Gore Vidal discussed a homosexual allusion during the filming of Ben Hur that completely went over Charlton Heston's head.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

The subversive St. Patrick's Day classic

Post by Big Magilla »

The New Republic on John Ford's subversive St. Patrick's Day classic The Quiet Man which went over the heads of everyone in 1952 and just about everyone since.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1126 ... day-staple

Return to “The First Century”