Best Films I saw in 2013 not from 2013 (or 2012)

1895-1999
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Best Films I saw in 2013 not from 2013 (or 2012)

Post by Precious Doll »

Couldn't find Drag on YouTube, though sometimes things appear only to disappear and then reappear, so I'll start checking on a regular basis.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Of all the picture, acting and director nominees I am only missing 9 of which 8 I believe are either lost and/or have one remaining print held by either the UCLA or some other archive.
Which 9 films, Precious? Maybe some of those are still around.
The nine are:

The Barker (35 mm print held by ULCA)
Drag (Print exists in a major American archive)
East Lynne (There was something posted here recently, a bootleg DVD available but missing the last reel though the ULCA have a complete print?)
The Noose (Print exists at the Museum of Modern Art in New York)
The Patriot (Lost though a trailer exists)
A Rogue Song (Lost though apparently the soundtrack exists)
Sorrell and Son (Not lost but in very poor condition and missing the last reel)
The Way of All Flesh (Lost though fragments of it exist is two other films)
The White Parade (Print held by ULCA)

Some of these held by film archives may turn on through Warners or Fox DVD-R archives with any luck.
I saw the bootleg copy of East Lynne recently and I think Drag is available on Youtube.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Of all the picture, acting and director nominees I am only missing 9 of which 8 I believe are either lost and/or have one remaining print held by either the UCLA or some other archive.
The nine are:

The Barker (35 mm print held by ULCA)
Drag (Print exists in a major American archive)
East Lynne (There was something posted here recently, a bootleg DVD available but missing the last reel though the ULCA have a complete print?)
The Noose (Print exists at the Museum of Modern Art in New York)
The Patriot (Lost though a trailer exists)
A Rogue Song (Lost though apparently the soundtrack exists)
Sorrell and Son (Not lost but in very poor condition and missing the last reel)
The Way of All Flesh (Lost though fragments of it exist is two other films)
The White Parade (Print held by ULCA)

Some of these held by film archives may turn on through Warners or Fox DVD-R archives with any luck.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Of all the picture, acting and director nominees I am only missing 9 of which 8 I believe are either lost and/or have one remaining print held by either the UCLA or some other archive.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Precious Doll wrote: Setting goals is certainly the way to explore cinema of the past. And it is fun tracking down all the stuff you want to see. It's also frustrating not been able to see films one longs to see.
I have the goal to watch all films nominated for best picture and acting categories.

I've been able to get the majority of them (still missing 15 films) back to 1949 thanks to the internet and my collection is now of 800+ films. In the coming months I will try to track all movies available back to 1929.

Unfortunely during the last three years I haven't had the time to watch a lot of them.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Setting goals is certainly the way to explore cinema of the past. And it is fun tracking down all the stuff you want to see. It's also frustrating not been able to see films one longs to see.

In the mid 1980's a decided to see 100 old years (i.e. more then 10 years old) at the cinema each year. I was able to keep that up until the late 1990's by which time reparatory screenings and cinemas began to unwind and more and more of what was being shown were films that I had already seen.

I loved going to the cinema seeing all the old Hollywood classics and works from all the masters of world cinema (no need to name them as we all know who they are).

I still try to see 100 older films per year in any format (cinema, TV, DVD, etc) and strongly suspect that for the first time I will not reach that target for 2014. I am no longer prepared to watch anything just to get to that figure anymore and as I have seen so many old films anyway there aren't really that many more to see.

There are still films that I have not seen that I very much want to but that comes down to them being made available.

I can only imagine how hard it is for younger people now to try and view works of the past because as time moves forward there are more and more films to catch up with. Also, when I was younger I saw so much contemporary work that I wouldn't even dream of watching today. When I was younger and felt like I had all the time in the world and it is only been in recent years that I have been hit with the reality that time is running out and I would prefer to watch more of my favourites over again then most of the films being made now. Still, I hate the idea of missing out on some hidden gems.

As of today I have seen 6,375 films made prior to 1977 which was when I started attending the cinema on a regular basis. I do not expect that number to top 7,000 but I'll do the best I can over the next couple of decades.
Okri
Tenured

Best Films I saw in 2013 not from 2013 (or 2012)

Post by Okri »

In 2013, it was a goal of mine to watch 100 "older" films, one from every year from 1913 to 2012. I didn't do it in chronological order or anything and I ended up just shy of 60. I'm hoping to do better this year, but it was definitely a fun project.

1. Street of Shame
2. Les Amants du Pont Neuf
3. Who’s Camus Anyway
4. A Time to Love and a Time to Die (Sirk)
5. Violent Summer
6. Harakiri (Kobayashi)
7. Devils on the Doorstep
8. Park Row
9. The Edge of the World
10. Silence de la mer, Le
11. The Outlaw and His Wife
12. Thirst for Love
13. L’Assassin Habite au 21
14. Lola Montes
15. Peking Opera Blues

Return to “The First Century”