The VCR / DVR / Streaming Alert Thread

1895-1999
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

TCM is advertising it as a network premiere, at least on their Facebook page.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm pretty sure TCM has shown The Moon Is Blue several times in the last few years. I think the last time was around the Warner Archive release last year.

It's not a very good movie. It's rather stagebound and too talky, but should be seen by Oscar compleatists once. The controversy over the film was much ado about nothing.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Tonight (Friday) at 8pm eastern time, TCM is showing 1953 Best Actress nominee Maggie McNamara in The Moon Is Blue. This once-scandalous film hasn't been broadcast in decades.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

dws1982 wrote:Tomorrow morning at 8:15 AM, TCM airs Rossellini's Stromboli. Set your DVR to go a few minutes over. Last time it aired in a 1:45 timeslot, and cut off in the final sequence.

And then at 6:00 PM tomorrow, they air Europa '51.
Ingrid Bergman is luminous in both.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Tomorrow morning at 8:15 AM, TCM airs Rossellini's Stromboli. Set your DVR to go a few minutes over. Last time it aired in a 1:45 timeslot, and cut off in the final sequence.

And then at 6:00 PM tomorrow, they air Europa '51.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Tomorrow morning (8/2) TCM is running two Julie Christie classics not on DVD.

Christie is good in Young Cassidy, released the same year as Darling and Doctor Zhivago, but she is not the standout in a cast that also includes Rod Taylor, Maggie Smith, Flora Robson, Michael Redgrave and Edith Evans.

Begun by John Ford who had to drop out because of illness, the film was taken over by Jack Cardiff after Ford completed only two scenes: a barroom brawl scene and Robson's death scene, surpassed only by Maureen O'Hara's death scene in The Long Gray Line in the Ford canon of memorable deaths. Maggie Smith's 11th hour scene tops almost everything she's subsequently done in her entire career including her entire performance in the same year's Othello for which she was inexplicably nominated for an Oscar instead.

The Go-Between which has long been on DVD in the U.K., but not the U.S., features one of Christie's best performances as well of one Alan Bates' though it is the supporting performances of Dominic Guard, Edward Fox and especially Margaret Leighton that stand out. Nonetheless I prefer her in this to the same year's better known McCabe & Mrs. Miller.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I would say that the bare bones of the plot are the same - woman kills man who turns out be her lover and she's put on trial for murder - but it has a completely different ending.

It doesn't have the production values of the Wyler classic, but Vincent Sherman was a good director of actors and he gets top notch performances from all four stars - Sheridan, Zachary Scott, Lew Ayres and especially Eve Arden whose character is the one that surprises us in the end.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:Very early Wednesday morning, TCM shows Vincent Sherman's and Ann Sheridan's less-known 1947 collaboration, The Unfaithful. I've never seen it, but it's reportedly a loose adaptation of The Letter, although the screen credits don't mention it.
It's actually pretty observably the same plot -- I'd read that it was before seeing the film, but my wife, without my having informed her, noted it before the film was half over.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Very early Wednesday morning, TCM shows Vincent Sherman's and Ann Sheridan's less-known 1947 collaboration, The Unfaithful. I've never seen it, but it's reportedly a loose adaptation of The Letter, although the screen credits don't mention it.

Edited By dws1982 on 1279594788
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:Tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM Nora Prentiss airs. This is one of the greats, and it's not available on DVD. (Warner Archive doesn't count. That DVD looks terrible. You can probably get a better-looking version off of TCM.)

After it at 10:00 AM is The Locket. This one doesn't show up very often at all. If I remember right, Damien's a big fan.
Zach is, too.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM Nora Prentiss airs. This is one of the greats, and it's not available on DVD. (Warner Archive doesn't count. That DVD looks terrible. You can probably get a better-looking version off of TCM.)

After it at 10:00 AM is The Locket. This one doesn't show up very often at all. If I remember right, Damien's a big fan.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The Oscar nominated song sucks, too.
That's my definite recollection from that long-ago Oscar night.

Not that I remotely doubt your opinion, but when I hear something excoriated in such harsh terms, part of me is intrigued about seeing it.
Proceed at your own risk! :)
I hated the novel, too. It was the first Norman Mailer I read and I've never again picked up another of his books.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:

Not that I remotely doubt your opinion, but when I hear something excoriated in such harsh terms, part of me is intrigued about seeing it.
Proceed at your own risk! :)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I recall watching this 20 years ago on some very late night channel just because of the Oscar nod. Yes pretty lousy film.....though good cast.

Return to “The First Century”