The VCR / DVR / Streaming Alert Thread

1895-1999
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:23 pm

This is the definitive version of Dickens' novel but it takes perseverance. The acting is superb, especially the performances of Alec Guinness, Derek Jacobi and Joan Greenwood (who died before the film was released).

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:53 pm

flipp525 wrote:For Oscar completists:

Little Dorrit (1988) featuring Alec Guiness' Oscar-nominated supporting performance airs on TCM on Sept. 23rd. Part I 12PM-3; Part II 3-6:15.

Watch it alongside the recently Emmy-nominated 2008 version starring Matthew McFayden, Tom Courteney, Judy Parfitt and Eddie Marsan for a comparative weekend of Dickens adaptations.

I watched the first half of the movie years ago, but somehow could never get myself to rent the second. I found it totally chaotic -- like over-the-top Altman, with noise coming from every angle, so it was hard to focus. I presumed the limitations of TV got in the way of what the film was attempting.

But I suppose I should try it again; at least my TV is wider-screen/HD now, which might improve things.

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:35 am

For Oscar completists:

Little Dorrit (1988) featuring Alec Guiness' Oscar-nominated supporting performance airs on TCM on Sept. 23rd. Part I 12PM-3; Part II 3-6:15.

Watch it alongside the recently Emmy-nominated 2008 version starring Matthew McFayden, Tom Courteney, Judy Parfitt and Eddie Marsan for a comparative weekend of Dickens adaptations.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:09 am

dws1982 wrote:Kind of late on this one, but Oscar completists, take note:

Janie, a 1944 nominee for Editing airs on TCM tomorrow at 8:30 AM.

Tomorrow afternoon, its sequel, Janie Gets Married airs at 5:15 PM. Why they don't air back to back...I'm not sure. Damien is a fan of this one, I know.

Janie Gets Married is a much truer, much more incisive look at what returning WW 2 veterans went through than the ponderous Best Years Of My Life. and spares us the self-seriousness (it also has the same deep focus cinematography that was celebrated in the Wyler film).

I thought the original Curtiz was at best fitfully amusing but contrived, sit-comy and slight. And the Film Editing nomination is a complete mystery to me.

Both a terrific film on its own merits (damn, Vincent Sherman was a fine, ridiculously underrated director) but also as a great time capsule film, Janie Gets Married is something else entirely. As the title indicates, the eponymous character is now wed (to a returning G.I. she fell for in the first film) It's rather grim for a comedy, and much of the thrust of the film is a portrayal of marriage as a stultifying and unrewarding condition, hardly what one would expect in a 1940s comedy about newlyweds. There are intimations of adultery, and Janie and her husband even have a contract, which is to be renewable each month at each spouse's option if he and she want to remain married. One can certainly see the pair 20 years down the line having become the couple in Nora Prentiss. Despite the dark undertones, the film is also quite funny.

Edited By Damien on 1252998233
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:17 am

Kind of late on this one, but Oscar completists, take note:

Janie, a 1944 nominee for Editing airs on TCM tomorrow at 8:30 AM.

Tomorrow afternoon, its sequel, Janie Gets Married airs at 5:15 PM. Why they don't air back to back...I'm not sure. Damien is a fan of this one, I know.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:18 pm

Berlin Express is in the next wave of Warner Archive titles, due the second week in September.

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 am

Kind of a last minute alert: Berlin Express on TCM at 6:30 tonight. Stars Robert Ryan, Merle Oberon, directed by Jacques Tourneur.

Edited By dws1982 on 1251218485

Heksagon
Adjunct

Postby Heksagon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:53 pm

Bog wrote:It still hasn't been released on DVD here in the states though I'm fairly certain available in most other regions.

Indeed, as I have it on region 2 DVD. Fortunately, because it's a relatively rare occasion when films like Johnny Guitar are broadcast on my local TV. I have nothing like TCM where I live (well, actually, I do have a TCM, but that is a different matter).

Bog
Assistant

Postby Bog » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:27 am

Johnny Guitar, the great western melodrama from Nicholas Ray starring Joan Crawford, Sterling Hayden, Mercedes McCambridge, and of course the namesake of a long time member here will show on Saturday the 22nd at 4pm.

It still hasn't been released on DVD here in the states though I'm fairly certain available in most other regions.

Setting my DVR again for this, feel lucky when it plays on TCM

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:41 pm

I was quite surprised when I saw this just how well it worked even while completely eliding the lesbian aspect. In a certain way, it makes it seem that lesbianism is just a MacGuffin in the play; the stucture could work as well with any scandalous secret.

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:18 pm

dws1982 wrote:Overnight tonight (at 2:45 AM tomorrow morning), TCM shows These Three. This got a nomination for Bonita Granville in the very first Supporting Actress lineup. It's not on DVD, and I haven't seen it show up very often on TCM.

What a fantastic movie -- and Bonita Granville is superb in it. Marcia Mae Jones also turns in an excellent "juvenile" performance as the absolutely terrified Rosealie. I managed to track this film down in a Japanese video store for my first viewing in 2002 and it has since ended up on TCM every once in a blue moon. Fun fact: Margaret Hamilton (The Wicked Witch of the West, The Wizard of Oz) plays Agatha, the maid, and gets to deliver a whollop of a face slap at one point.

What's so great about this version is that while the slanderous lie at the heart of the story has been changed to a heterosexual one, none of the power of Hellman's play is lost in the telling; a manipulative young girl's lie still manages to destroy the lives of three innocent people.

This film was, of course, eventually re-made in 1961 with its original title and lesbian storyline intact as The Children's Hour.

Edited By flipp525 on 1250793041
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Overnight tonight (at 2:45 AM tomorrow morning), TCM shows These Three. This got a nomination for Bonita Granville in the very first Supporting Actress lineup. It's not on DVD, and I haven't seen it show up very often on TCM.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:39 am

The Barretts of Wimpole Street, which is among the Jennfier Jones features being shown, is also missing on commercial DVD.

Though the Jones-Bill Travers-John Gielgud-Virginia McKenna version is inferior to the Norma Shearer- Fredric March-Charles "they can't censor the gleam in my eye" Laughton-Maureen O'Sullivan version, it makes for an interesting companion piece. Perhaps the Warner Archive will release them both at some point.

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:55 pm

flipp525 wrote:
dws1982 wrote:Tomorrow on TCM at 6:00 PM, Love Letters shows. This isn't on DVD, and hasn't aired in a couple of years. Damien is a big fan. This has value for Oscar-completists, as well: Nominated for Actress (Jennifer Jones), Black and White Art Direction, Song, and Score.

I am a huge fan of this film as well. I think Jones' performance as "Singleton" might actually be my favorite of hers (although love her in The Towering Inferno!).

To appreciate Love Letters, you have to be able to respond to floridly romantic melodrama possessing an operatic display of feelings. For me, when it's done well, there are few things in cinema as emotionally satisfying.

Edited By Damien on 1250498274
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:01 pm

dws1982 wrote:Tomorrow on TCM at 6:00 PM, Love Letters shows. This isn't on DVD, and hasn't aired in a couple of years. Damien is a big fan. This has value for Oscar-completists, as well: Nominated for Actress (Jennifer Jones), Black and White Art Direction, Song, and Score.

I am a huge fan of this film as well. I think Jones' performance as "Singleton" might actually be my favorite of hers (although love her in The Towering Inferno!).

Edited By flipp525 on 1250460152

Return to “The First Century”