The VCR / DVR / Streaming Alert Thread

1895-1999
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: The VCR/DVR Alert Thread

Post by Mister Tee »

Mike Kelly first mentioned this a month or two back, but to alert everyone to its imminence:

The 1929 version of The Letter, which got a best actress nomination for the legendary Jeanne Eagels, will be shown on TCM this Wednesday morning at 8:45 AM.

I'm not quite sure why they'd bury such a long-sought obscurity in such a time-slot, but it makes it easier for those of us still stuck in VCR-land to tape.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:Here's one that, judging by the 1933 Best Actor thread, a whole lot of us are going to want to jump on:

Tuesday July 24th, 9:45 PM: Berkeley Square

This is the first TV airing of this I've come across since I signed on to this Oscar quest almost 50 years ago. Let's just hope no one famous dies between now and then to bump it.
Hopefully the print will be good. I've seen a copy of a dupe and it was pathetic. Could hardly see the actors' faces.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Here's one that, judging by the 1933 Best Actor thread, a whole lot of us are going to want to jump on:

Tuesday July 24th, 9:45 PM: Berkeley Square

This is the first TV airing of this I've come across since I signed on to this Oscar quest almost 50 years ago. Let's just hope no one famous dies between now and then to bump it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I read through the detaled desciptions of some of teh films in TCM's 31 Days of Oscar and caught a couple of things that would have made the proof-reaer in Damien cringe.

There were more, but that had me rolling my eyes were The Razor's Edge for which they list Anne Baxter as having won the Oscar for "Best Actress" and The Happy Ending which they show as being from 1967 when it was barely ready for release at the end of 1969.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm guessing, from the near-silence around here, that alot are feeling like me: in the context of the great personal loss we've experienced, chattering about movies seems too trivial to go back to. Which of course is true and untrue at the same time. Going back to mundane reality after such a jolt will naturally feel shallow and even pointless. But the fact is, movies -- even on their most trivial level -- are why we all knew and cared for Damien.

So, in that spirit, let me touch down lightly on a film topic, and maybe start us back to a new normal.

TCM, on Thursday at 6PM, is showing Lies My Father Told Me, a film by Jan Kadar (of Shop on Main Street fame) that, for Oscar completists, was a nominee for best original screenplay in 1975. I saw the film in a class I was taking that Fall, and my long-ago recollection is it was a charming little thing. I do seem to recall it begins with a grisly over-the-credits song that you should not let put you off (the music, in general, I recall as being in the over-emphatic range). The drama is pretty heartfelt, and the lead performance of Yossi Yadin is quite effective. (Though I was somewhat disillusioned when he appeared as a guest in the class, and came off as an arrogant prick) I doubt most people under 40 will have ever heard of the film, but it's worth taking a look at.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hope to catch The Tresspasser, but just realized that I am familiar with the property, having seen the 1937 remake, That Certain Woman[/i, from the same director (Edmund Goulding) with Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, Ian Hunter and Donald Crisp.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Bump. A reminder about tomorrow.

Make sure you have plenty of space available on your DVR on December 14. (I don't care that much about the Kubrick, but am very psyched about This Spanish Earth, and the two early Oscar contenders, The Valiant and The Trespasser.)

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2 ... k-rari.php

TCM Lands Stanley Kubrick Rarity for TV Debut EW
A rarely seen Stanley Kubrick film will make its world television debut, after TCM secured the movie for a special showing as part of a marathon honoring film preservation efforts, Entertainment Weekly reports.

The movie is "Fear and Desire," the director’s first feature film, from 1953. It will air Dec. 14 at 8 p.m., the story reports.

Kubrick, who went on to create landmark films including "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "A Clockwork Orange," was a young Look magazine photographer when he helmed "Fear and Desire." He called the effort "a bumbling amateur film exercise."

It was presented at the 1993 Telluride Film Festival, but has never been televised until now. TCM will show it as part of a 24-hour marathon honoring the preservation efforts of the Motion Picture Department at George Eastman House. The program, hosted by TCM’s Robert Osborne, will feature 15 film rarities.

Here’s the schedule for the marathon, starting Dec. 14:

6:15 a.m. -- The Blue Bird (1918)
7:45 a.m. -- The Valiant (1929)
9 a.m. -- The Spanish Earth (1937)
10 a.m. -- The Trespasser (1929)
11:45 a.m. -- The Moon and Sixpence (1942)
1:30 p.m. -- The Lottery Bride (1930)
3 p.m. -- A Page of Madness (1926)
4:30 p.m. -- Delicious (1931)
6:30 p.m. -- Payment Deferred (1932)
8:00 p.m. -- Fear and Desire (1953)
9:15 p.m. -- Huckleberry Finn (1920)
11 p.m. -- Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951)
1:15 a.m. -- Roaring Rails (1924)
2:45 a.m. -- The World Moves On (1934)
4:45 a.m. -- Goldstein (1965)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For some reason, the NY Daily News TV listings for TCM on Wednesday have different films scheduled for the times The Valiant and The Trespasser are supposed to run. I'm guessing it's a typo -- I have a vague recollection the films they have listed instead were on last week.

Meantime, tomorrow night 8 Eastern, TCM is running The Lemon Drop Kid, which I can't remember showing on TV previously. The film is a Bob Hope via Damon Runyon story, most notable today for being the source of holiday perennial "Silver Bells".
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:
Have sent a message to a friend in San Francisco to record The Valiant and The Moon is Blue for me.

Damien: If he's a friend, he'll spare you The Moon Is Blue.
Magilla: It's a typo. He meant The Moon and Sixpence.

Reza: No typo........gotta see Maggie McNamara's Oscar nominated performance, at least once before I die !! :D If I could survive watching Sandra Bullock's Oscar winning performance I can survive anything.
Oh, I see. I thought you meant The Moon and Sixpence because that's among those listed for the 14th, but then I checked TCM's schedule and found The Moon Is Blue is schedudled for this coming Monday. Alas, you wil be extremely disappointed both by the coy, lifeless comedy and McNamara's mannered performance.
No prob.....one has to try and see all the Oscar nominated performances - good, bad or ugly.

I have The Moon and Sixpence on video.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Have sent a message to a friend in San Francisco to record The Valiant and The Moon is Blue for me.

Damien: If he's a friend, he'll spare you The Moon Is Blue.
Magilla: It's a typo. He meant The Moon and Sixpence.

Reza: No typo........gotta see Maggie McNamara's Oscar nominated performance, at least once before I die !! :D If I could survive watching Sandra Bullock's Oscar winning performance I can survive anything.
Oh, I see. I thought you meant The Moon and Sixpence because that's among those listed for the 14th, but then I checked TCM's schedule and found The Moon Is Blue is schedudled for this coming Monday. Alas, you wil be extremely disappointed both by the coy, lifeless comedy and McNamara's mannered performance.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Damien wrote:
Reza wrote:Thanks for the tip-off.

If he's a friend, he'll spare you The Moon Is Blue.
It's a typo. He meant The Moon and Sixpence.
No typo........gotta see Maggie McNamara's Oscar nominated performance, at least once before I die !! :D If I could survive watching Sandra Bullock's Oscar winning performance I can survive anything.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:

It's a typo. He meant The Moon and Sixpence.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Tresspasser is the one that has eluded me. I have The Valiant; Lottery Bride; Payment Deferred; The World Moves On and The Moon and Sixpence on DVD. Pandora and the Flying Dutchman has had numeroud home video releases. The best of this lot is Payment Deferred with Charles Laughton and Ray Milalnd. The Valiant is based on a 1926 play that closed after just one performance. It creaks but Muni's good in it.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Thanks for the tip-off.

Return to “The First Century”