The VCR / DVR / Streaming Alert Thread

1895-1999
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: The VCR/DVR Alert Thread

Post by Mister Tee »

Wow -- two unattainable Oscar nominees at once. Thanks for the tip-off.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Make sure you have plenty of space available on your DVR on December 14. (I don't care that much about the Kubrick, but am very psyched about This Spanish Earth, and the two early Oscar contenders, The Valiant and The Trespasser.)

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2 ... k-rari.php

TCM Lands Stanley Kubrick Rarity for TV Debut EW
A rarely seen Stanley Kubrick film will make its world television debut, after TCM secured the movie for a special showing as part of a marathon honoring film preservation efforts, Entertainment Weekly reports.

The movie is "Fear and Desire," the director’s first feature film, from 1953. It will air Dec. 14 at 8 p.m., the story reports.

Kubrick, who went on to create landmark films including "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "A Clockwork Orange," was a young Look magazine photographer when he helmed "Fear and Desire." He called the effort "a bumbling amateur film exercise."

It was presented at the 1993 Telluride Film Festival, but has never been televised until now. TCM will show it as part of a 24-hour marathon honoring the preservation efforts of the Motion Picture Department at George Eastman House. The program, hosted by TCM’s Robert Osborne, will feature 15 film rarities.

Here’s the schedule for the marathon, starting Dec. 14:

6:15 a.m. -- The Blue Bird (1918)
7:45 a.m. -- The Valiant (1929)
9 a.m. -- The Spanish Earth (1937)
10 a.m. -- The Trespasser (1929)
11:45 a.m. -- The Moon and Sixpence (1942)
1:30 p.m. -- The Lottery Bride (1930)
3 p.m. -- A Page of Madness (1926)
4:30 p.m. -- Delicious (1931)
6:30 p.m. -- Payment Deferred (1932)
8:00 p.m. -- Fear and Desire (1953)
9:15 p.m. -- Huckleberry Finn (1920)
11 p.m. -- Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951)
1:15 a.m. -- Roaring Rails (1924)
2:45 a.m. -- The World Moves On (1934)
4:45 a.m. -- Goldstein (1965)
Last edited by Damien on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Damien wrote:A reminder that The Constant Nymph, a film which literally hasn't been broadcast in decades, will be on TCM this Wednesday at 8:00pm, Eastern time. For Oscar completists, Joan Fontaine was nominated for Best Actress of 1943 and it was apparently her favorite among her own movies.
Holy shit! Thank god I checked into the Board today. Thanks, Damien!!

Shouldn't it be "it is apparently her favorite among her own movies"? The woman's still alive!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

A reminder that The Constant Nymph, a film which literally hasn't been broadcast in decades, will be on TCM this Wednesday at 8:00pm, Eastern time. For Oscar completists, Joan Fontaine was nominated for Best Actress of 1943 and it was apparently her favorite among her own movies.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:It seems like TCM is working strenuously to expand its playlist. They started out with that amazing library, and alot of us caught up on huge numbers of previously inaccessible nominees in the early years. But then they seemed to coast on it for a while -- the same amazing movies were still there to be seen, but nothing beyond that.

The last year or so, though, they've acquired a bunch of new, eclectic titles that I'd never seen (or not seen since their long-ago releases) -- My Son John, Li'l Abner, Wanda just the other night, Last Summer. I hope they keep it up.

And, yes, geeky as it seems, I'm very excited about being finally able to cross The Constany Nymph off the to-be-seen list. Can Valiant is the Word for Carrie or A Medal for Benny be far behind?
I don't know why A Medal For Benny fell into the netherworld. It used to be a regular as part of the Paramount package Metromedia's Channel 5, WNEW, had in New York. I saw it in the early 70s, back when every other movie on Channel 5 seemed to be directed by Mitchell Leisen and/or produced by Arthur Hornblow, Jr. There must be a rights issue somewhere. It's a nice film, lovely performance by J Carroll Naish. But it's still James Dunn for the win.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It seems like TCM is working strenuously to expand its playlist. They started out with that amazing library, and alot of us caught up on huge numbers of previously inaccessible nominees in the early years. But then they seemed to coast on it for a while -- the same amazing movies were still there to be seen, but nothing beyond that.

The last year or so, though, they've acquired a bunch of new, eclectic titles that I'd never seen (or not seen since their long-ago releases) -- My Son John, Li'l Abner, Wanda just the other night, Last Summer. I hope they keep it up.

And, yes, geeky as it seems, I'm very excited about being finally able to cross The Constany Nymph off the to-be-seen list. Can Valiant is the Word for Carrie or A Medal for Benny be far behind?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:TCM will also be showing the seldom seen One Third of a Nation (1939) with Sylvia Sidney and Sidney Lumet as her teenage broyher ehois injured in a tenement fire - I'm sure Damien will be want to set his DVR for that one! :)

Apparently the rights disputes behind The Constant Nymph have been resolved and the film will be released on DVD (probably through the Warner Archive) shortly.
I'm actually thrilled about One-Thrid Of A Nation. The original play -- which is actually line of lousy; basically unfiltered over-the-top left wing agitprop -- was dome here in New York off-off-Broadway a few months ago, with a friend of mine in the Sylvia Sidney role. Ironically, she's one of my few right-wing friends, and the director told her, "I'm casting you because it's such a stretch."

And can't wait to see finally The Constant Nymph.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

TCM will also be showing the seldom seen One Third of a Nation (1939) with Sylvia Sidney and Sidney Lumet as her teenage broyher ehois injured in a tenement fire - I'm sure Damien will be want to set his DVR for that one! :)

Apparently the rights disputes behind The Constant Nymph have been resolved and the film will be released on DVD (probably through the Warner Archive) shortly.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

This is a little premature, but just to make sure it doesn't slip through the cracks for anyone interested...TCM will be showing The Constant Nymph (1943) in a couple weeks (September 28th).

The movie is pretty mediocre, but I know a lot of people have been searching for this one for a while, in hopes of checking out Joan Fontaine's Best Actress-nominated performance.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Victor Sjostrom's The Phantom Carriage airs on TCM at Midnight eastern tonight. Criterion's putting it out on DVD/Blu in a few months, but it's been pretty rare in the States until recently.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

TCM is showing the yet-to-be-released on DVD or Blu-ray Oscar-winner Skippy today at 5:45pm (U.S./EST). If I could figure out how to make my DVD recorder work, I would "tape" it. Jackie Cooper remains the youngest Best Actor nominee ever (age 10).
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For those many who mentioned they couldn't vote in the 1969 supporting actress race because they'd not seen the Catherine Burns performance in Last Summer...TCM is airing it overnight Tuesday-into-Wednesday, 2:45 AM.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks, Tee, I mentioned it in the Best by the Best for 1966 (the year of its British release) but couldn't find the VCR/DVD thread.

You should see it from beginning to end, of course, but if you miss the beginning, you should at least watch the last thirty minutes or so when Marjorie Rhodes' performance goes into high gear.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Since we mentioned it in discussing the '67 supporting actress race and many (including me) had not seen it, a quick tip that tonight 12:15 AM, TCM is showing The Family Way. I only hope the baseball is over for the night by then.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Really? Maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

Return to “The First Century”