Recommendations for nominated films 1970-1990

1895-1999
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I just checked. For 1979, the cinematography category dropped both The Black Stallion and Manhattan to make room for 1941. Seriously.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The Original BJ wrote:Question: how in GOD'S name was this not nominated for a Cinematography Oscar? The visuals in that first half are heavenly, in a totally Oscar-baity sort of way.

Oh right, Manhattan didn't get nominated either. The cinematographers really screwed up that year, I think. Seriously, what happened?!!

Manhattan wasn't nominated because fellow cinematographers hated Gordon Willis, for some reason--the same reason he didn't get a single nomination for that unparalleled run he had in the 70's: Klute, Bad Company, The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, All the President's Men, Annie Hall, Comes A Horseman, Interiors, and Manhattan, among others. (The result was that he was later nominated for good work that was a far cry from his best.)

Caleb Deschanel was a protege of the hated Gordon Willis at Zoetrope, and hadn't worked on many major films before The Black Stallion, so I would imagine there was some cronyism involved.

Edited By dws1982 on 1236298905
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:The ones I'd say are the absolute best of that crop are The Black Stallion, a truly gorgeous-looking movie
Question: how in GOD'S name was this not nominated for a Cinematography Oscar? The visuals in that first half are heavenly, in a totally Oscar-baity sort of way.

Oh right, Manhattan didn't get nominated either. The cinematographers really screwed up that year, I think. Seriously, what happened?!!
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

mros wrote:I've been trying to see all nominated performances since 1970.

I already have available to see and haven't seen yet:

McCabe and Mrs Miller
Fat City
Save the Tiger
The Last Detail
The Man in the Glass Booth
Shampoo
Carrie
Equus
Interiors
Norma Rae
The Rose
The French Lieutenant's Woman
The World According to Garp
Tender Mercies
Under the Volcano
The Pope of Greenwich Village
Jagged Edge
Murphy´s Romance
Enchanted April
Sling Blade
The Wings of the Dove

Which ones should I see first?
From the ones i 've seen i'd give priority to

Under the Volcano
The Wings of the Dove
Equus
Interiors
The Rose
Enchanted April
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Anything but Save the Tiger.

Save the Tiger itself is no great shakes, but the acting is terrific. Jack Lemmon's performance as a desperate businessman rivals his similar work years later in Glengary Glen Ross alongside fellow nominee that year, Al Pacino (Serpico). Jack Gilford is heartbreaking as his partner, reluctant to participate in the destruction of their business. The standout scene is Lemmon's meeting with the arsonist. The film is definitely a product of its time and, in that sense, seems rather dated, but I don't begrudge Lemmon's Oscar win at all.

Edited By flipp525 on 1236289850
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Anything but Save the Tiger.

The ten I would watch first (in no particular order) are Carrie, Equus, Shampoo, Norma Rae, Interiors, The Last Detail, Tender Mercies, Enchanted April, The World According to Garp and Murphy's Romance.
mros
Graduate

Post by mros »

I've been trying to see all nominated performances since 1970.

I already have available to see and haven't seen yet:

McCabe and Mrs Miller
Fat City
Save the Tiger
The Last Detail
The Man in the Glass Booth
Shampoo
Carrie
Equus
Interiors
Norma Rae
The Rose
Tender Mercies
Under the Volcano
The Pope of Greenwich Village
Jagged Edge
Murphy´s Romance
Enchanted April
Sling Blade
The Wings of the Dove

Which ones should I see first?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't think a lot of people saw The Grey Fox when it was new let alone remember it. Farnsworth was fine but the film wasn't much noticed outside of the Globes where he was one of twelve lead actors nominated for their work in 1983 films, one of seven in drama. He didn't stand much of a chance at an Oscar nomination that year.

I would, however, add The Grey Fox to my recommendations of films available only on VHS to wait for the DVD. Why isn't it on DVD? And why isn't Diary of a Mad Housewife, Frank Langella's first film and the first film for which he was mentioned as a strong Oscar contender?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I saw "Scandal" many years ago. The only real memory I have of it was the bedroom scene between Bridget Fonda and Joanne Whalley-Kilmer, but I would remember that, wouldn't I?

And yes, "Melvin and Howard" is a great film. Invite Mister Tee over so he can see how his normally astute opinions went off the rails on this one.

"But Melvin! I love to dance!"

And speaking of rails... Has "The Grey Fox" really fallen to such obscurity or disrepute that no one is recommending it? It's a lovely, winsome little Canadian western about a stagecoach robber released from jail after 35 years and learns to adjust to all the changes around him. Then he starts robbing trains. For those who believe Richard Farnsworth not winning the Oscar for "The Straight Story" was one of AMPAS's biggest crimes, his not even being nominated for "Grey Fox" is even more heinous. He did win a Genie, though, as did the film itself.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1236262355
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hustler wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The Sunshine Boys is one of the worst movies of the 70s. Walter Matthau is terrible, Benjamin is worse. George Burns is OK but not worthy of an Oscar nomination let alone the Oscar itself.

The chemistry between Burns and Matthau is irresistible.
Irresistably awful. That movie should be thrown into a black hole. George Burns' Oscar acceptance speech is better than his entire performance.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:The Sunshine Boys is one of the worst movies of the 70s. Walter Matthau is terrible, Benjamin is worse. George Burns is OK but not worthy of an Oscar nomination let alone the Oscar itself.
The chemistry between Burns and Matthau is irresistible.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Promises in the Dark
Melvin and Howard
Scandal
Diary of a Mad Housewife
Inside Moves
Butterfly (guilty pleasure)
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

1976 was a great year for movies, although you would never know it from the shitty Oscar Best Picture nominations (only Bound For Glory was deserving of a nomination). Next Stop, Greenwich Village (a seminal movie for me and my gang) amd Cousin, Cousine (very McCarey-esque) are two of the best releases from that year.

Melvin and Howard is the Best Picture of 1980, Jonathan Demme at his peak of humane eccentricity.

Scandal is an outstanding, forgotten film with great performances by John Hurt, Ian McKellen and the hilarious Bridget Fonda (why she didn't become a major star, I'll never know -- after this film I've absolutely adored her).

Inside Moves is a lovely small film. And The Four Seasons is smart and sweet and kind, and a great showcase for one of my all time favorite character actors, Jack Weston. A time capsule movie of the period when Alan Alda was idolized as the quintessential male feminist.

My friends made fun of me at the time for liking it, but I stil maintain that Promises In The Dark is a film to be cherished for its generosity of spirit and clear-eyed intelligence, and its refusal to sentimentalize a potentially sappy (teen dying) narrative. Jerome Hellman (who produced Midnight Cowboy -- I belive this is his only directorial effort) shows a real understanding of film language and mise-en-scene. And a beautiful suporting performance by Paul Clemens, who is Eleanor Parker's son.

Butterfly provided me with one of my most enjoyable movie experiences ever. Saw it in the theatre with my friends Rob and Shelley and rarely laughed so hard in my life. It is so uproariously awful that it brings camp to an entirely new level. Golden Globe nominee Orson Welles as the trial judge is particularly hilarious.

Edited By Damien on 1236239311
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I've already ordered the first group of Dvds based on
a. your recommendations
b. the availiability of play.com (which has no shipping costs)
c. The price: all cost between 5-10 Euros

Lovers and Other Strangers
Claudine
The Idolmaker
Hester Street
Next Stop Greenwich Village
Cousin, Cousine

i also found and rented ...And Justice for all.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Coincidentally today is Mrs. Benjamin's (Paula Prentiss) 70th birthday. I always liked her, could never understand what she saw in him but they've been together all these years so he must have something.

Actually he's gotten better as an actor he's gotten older, but he's still a lousy director.

The Sunshine Boys is one of the worst movies of the 70s. Walter Matthau is terrible, Benjamin is worse. George Burns is OK but not worthy of an Oscar nomination let alone the Oscar itself.

Return to “The First Century”