Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993)

1895-1999
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't remember the film very much, but I do recall that I didn't think it was nearly as funny as Bullets Over Broadway, which I consider quintessential post-80s Woody.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Flipp, I agree. This is one of Allen's hidden gems, and one of his films that my wife and I return to the most (her especially...it may be her favorite). I don't think my love of Woody is any secret around here, but for me this is proof of his genius. Not only is it his funniest film in the past 20 years, but it has an emotional depth to it that his early comedies never had.

Keaton is phenomenal in the film, and is even greater when you know that she wasn't supposed to be in the film. The Mia Farrow debacle broke out shortly before filming of this, and Mia dropped out. Diane came in at the last minute, and supposedly not a word was changed for her. Alda and Huston are both great, as are Ron Rifkin and a wonderful Jerry Adler as the neighbor. Plus, early appearances by TV stars Aida Tuturro and Zach Braff.

I like Woody in the film, especially his throw-aways. But maybe that is just a matter of taste.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY (1993)

Cast: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Alan Alda, Anjelica Huston, Jerry Adler, Ron Rifkin, Joy Behar, Aida Tuturro; dir. Woody Allen

One of the most delightful Woody Allen films of the early 90's, Manhattan Murder Mystery, succeeds on several levels -- and one of those levels is its performances, headlined by Diane Keaton's wonderfully hilarious, frenetic turn as a would-be restauranteur/housewife/amateur sleuth. It's a peformance which elevates the entire film to almost classic status.

Keaton and Allen play a bored married couple entering the doldrums of middle-age who have realized independently that they don't have much in common. That is, until the mysterious death of a female neighbor they've both recently met, awakens the dormant sleuths in both of them setting them on a caper-filled adventure to investigate the suspicious widower next door, thereby, igniting their passion for life and, eventually, each other. It's actually a rather conventional love story with a murder mystery as the backdrop, but Allen's winks and nods to the caper genre as well as his reverence for classic film noir plots (Barbara Stanwyck's character in Double Indeminity indeed makes a cameo, blond wig and all) are melded into the action of the story, pulling you into the mystery right along with the dynamic main characters.

Allen employs his love of jazz in a unique way, underscoring the soaring moments of needle in a haystack cat-and-mousing throughout New York City with big band jolts of energy and excitement. And in one particular scene, where Keaton is sneaking around in her neighbor's apartment with an absconded key, the jazz riff gives the scene a much-needed spark of nerve-wracking anticipation.

Great supporting performances all around, including Anjelica Huston as a mystery writer who suggests a possible trap for the perpetrator as well as a way the whole story should end and Alan Alda whose exuberance is infectious and whose puppy-dog crush on Keaton anchors the film in reality.

The only problem I had was Allen's performance. It's literally all over the place. There was no one to reign him and a lot of his improvised dialogue borders on inane. Luckily, Keaton is so watchable next to him, you hardly notice his annoying peccadillos.

**** out of 5.

Edited By flipp525 on 1210018476
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “The First Century”