The Top Best Films of 1988 - Whether You Like It or Not

1895-1999
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Cannot disagree with Who Framed Roger Rabbit as one of the best films of the year, a film I can't get enough of... You guys already mentioned Women on the verge..., The Unbearable Lightness..., Pelle, and The Last Temptation of Christ, films that I consider the best of that year and even though I really like Dangerous Liaisons, Working Girl and Rain Man these five would have made a better lineup for best picture...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

My favourite is the brilliant, unique, haunting Paperhouse, Bernard Rose's weird and wonderful fantasy which I discovered many years ago on late night TV and is still too little known.

The Last Temptation of Christ, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Pelle the Conqueror if you count it as 88, Grave of the Fireflies, Dangerous Liaisons, Dead Ringers and - my guilty pleasure of the year, and Tom Hanks' finest hour by a mile - the charming Big. Yep, a great year.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I was contemplating doing a legit list, but I thought it'd be a little more entertaining to see something like Killer Klowns from Outer Space in the running of the best when it clearly isn't even close. It's just a spot for me to be a smartass as to what would make a movie great. Who Frame Roger Rabbit does belong at the top though.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

That's good to hear...we won't commit you just yet:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Most of this was a joke, as most of it is humor-laden. I guess I'm just not funny. :D
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Actually, 1988 is a pretty damn good year. In addition to Sabin's list, this year brought us Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Another Woman, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Eight Men Out, The Vanishing, Working Girl, Big and The Moderns. Except for your Top 2 and maybe A Fish Called Wanda or Die Hard, those should all be on a Top 10 list before the embarrassment that is Scrooged, Twins or The Land Before Time (no offense Zahveed). The Last Temptation of Christ is the best film of the year.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think 'Dead Ringers' is probably the best film of 1988. On some days, I think it's the best film of the 80's. An insane highwire act that pays off in every conceivable fashion.

Also worth championing (let alone going over the moon for as any one of these movies would top any one of my lists today) are 'Bull Durham', 'Wings of Desire', 'The Thin Blue Line', 'Dangerous Liaisons', 'The Last Temptation of Christ', and 'Running om Empty'.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

This list was compiled by means of importance, cult status, popularity, absurdity, free time, boredom and downright personal preference. Those who object to the list will be sacked appropriately. This month I start off with my birth year - middle age for some and college daze for others.

Missing the Cut:

15. Twins - The pinnacle of 80's gullibility. Terminator and Louie De Palma are twins? Sure thing!

14. Biloxi Blues - Remember Matthew Broderick? Remember how he fell into a downward spiral after The Lion King? It's not The Freshman, but it'll do.

13. Oliver and Company - Disney knows how to pack in the voice talent. Disney's best feature in the 80's pre-renassaince.

12. Rain Man - If only for quotes and the fact it won the Oscar for Best Picture.

11. Child's Play - Everyone has had that doll when they were young, that doll that stares at you and waits until you awaken in a cold sweat. Do you ever find a mysterious bruise or cut on your arm?

--------

10. Beetlejuice - Stylistic, spawned a tv-show with little relation but names, and introduced goths and disturbed children to their lord: Tim Burton. He had a good run until that remake of Planet of the Apes.

9. Young Guns - Whose young and popular in entertainment? Let's put them all in a cheeky western and see what happens... maybe we'll make some money.

8. Die Hard - How do you go about going from a smartass t.v. star to a badass action hero killing Alan Rickman's protrayl as the greatest action movie villain and befriending Mr. Family Matters? Ask Bruce Willis.

7. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! - OJ before his name was entered into the files of the real police squad.

6. Scrooged - Everyone loves A Christmas Story. Mickey Mouse and the Muppets did it, so of course some variation is bound to have Bill Murray.

5. Killer Klowns from Outer Space - Circus tent spaceships and deadly cotton candy! Greenlight it immediately!

4. A Fish Called Wanda - Let's be legit for a minute; when half of the major cast is made up of the Monty Python troupe it's bound to be at least halfway decent.

3. The Land Before Time - Don Bluth really knows how to scare the shit out of kids. If isolation, racism, and family deaths wasn't enough, let's throw in a goddamn T-Rex! Scarier yet is the fact its sequels are catching up to the Super Bowl.

2. The Last Temptation of Christ - How is a depiction of a living, breathing Jesus able piss off more Christians than a severely injured, dying Jesus? Plus, it's Scorsese. Deal with it.

1. Who Framed Roger Rabbit - It's just a damn good movie. It's the best of Zemeckis, Hoskins, and Lloyd. Hell, it's the best thing to come out of almost everyone associated with that movie.

Discuss - complaints will be allowed.

Return to “The First Century”