VCR/DVD Recorder/Tivo Alert

1895-1999
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Thanks for the reminder Damien, my DVR is set!

By the way, I finally got 'round to watching Robson's Trial (1955), which I'm pleased to report was one of his best efforts; not sure that Arthur Kennedy was fully deserving of his Oscar nod--he gets more hammy as the film progresses--it's really Glenn Ford's terrific performance that anchors the film, inhabiting Robson's usual lonely/loner soul protagonist, conflicted by his individuality and the demands of society.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Thanks for that, Damien. I've been going through 1949 films a lot recently, via Netflix, and TCM schedules, and this is one I had overlooked.

Speaking of 1949, Raoul Walsh's Colorado Territory, which TCM aired yesterday (I DVR'd and watched last night) airs again Wednesday night, early Thursday morning at 12:00 AM EST.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

This Tuesday at 2pm (Eastern time),TCM is showing Mark Robson's My Foolish Heart, which was a 1949 nominee for Best Actress (Susan Hayward) and Best Song.

Based on J.D. Salinger's Uncle Wiggly In Connecticut. it has n'r been broadcast in years.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

For the Oscar completists among us:

Monday at 12 noon eastern time, TCM is showing the little-seen The Hairy Ape, a 1944 nominee for Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture (score by Michel Michelet and Edward Paul).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Thanks Damien. I have been dying to see Killer of Sheep. The TiVo is set for both that and My Brother's Wedding!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

On this Monday, January 21, On Monday, TCM is showing 5 Charles Burnett pictures (for Martin Luther King Day), including at 8pm and 12:30am EST, the must-see Killer of Sheep. (That's followed by The Horse, My Brother's Wedding, When It Rains and Several Friends.)

Return to “The First Century”