Auntie Mame

1895-1999
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Unfortunately Peggy Cass as Agnes Gooch is the only fly in this ointment for me. Thought she was the only annoying aspect of this, otherwise, delightful film

Edited By Reza on 1206369576
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reza wrote:Coral Browne is also great as Vera Charles.
I can't think of another film in which has as many unforgettable comic performances as Auntie Mame. Roz and Coral, of course, but Joanna Barnes as Gloria, Willard Waterman and the great Lee Patrick as her parents, Peggy Cass as Agnes Gooch, Fred Clark as Mr. Babcock, Carol Veazie as Mrs. Burnside, Yuki Shimoda as Ito, Robin Hughes as Brian O'Bannion. And the "straight" roles are equally well enacted, too, by Forrest Tucker, Roger Smith, Pippa Scott, Connie Gilchrist and Jan Handzlik as Patrick.

I think Auntie Mame is a perfect movie, one that never ceases to delight and inspire no matter how many times you've seen it, and it manages to be both absolutely hilarious and deeply moving. Russell not winning the Oscar for this is one of the very worst of the Academy's many sins.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Coral Browne is also great as Vera Charles.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I watched this movie again tonight for the first time in a number of years. Sadly, I had forgotten much of it, but I recalled that I liked it when I first saw it.

Watching it again is a rather magical experience. They really don't, but should, make comedies like this again. It was simply divine. And Rosalind Russell was absolutely magnificent. I don't think anyone could have given this performance with the same elegance, charm and flare. It's easily one of the great performances of any generation.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The First Century”