Tallulah - Won't See The Likes Of Her Again

1895-1999
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

My favorite Tallulah anecdote (from Ms. Magazine - to get it right)

In a public restroom during an intermission, Tallulah discovered that there was no toilet paper. “I beg your pardon, but do you have any toilet tissue in your cubicle?” she asked her neighbor. Receiving a negative reply Tallulah, tried again, “Do you have any Kleenex perhaps?” Again, the reply was negative. “Not even some cotton wool? A piece of wrapping paper?” A long pause followed the third negative, after which could be heard the sound of a purse opening. A resigned drawl finally came through the partition: “Darling, do you have two fives for a ten?”
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Steph2 wrote:Oh my gosh, where has Tracey Ullman been?? I love her!
I know! She's so great. I loved Tracey Ullman's performance in Small Time Crooks.

Tracey: "You've got a good nose!"
Hugh Grant: "Yes the wine has a lovely bouquet."
Tracey: "No, I mean you gotta great nose!"

Elaine May is a complete stitch in it, too and should've been nominated in support that year. Ullman is fabulous in Bullets over Broadway, too.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Oh my gosh, where has Tracey Ullman been?? I love her!
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Tallulah: Lifeboat: "Dying together is even more peresonal than living together" and " Some of my best friend are in jail".
I think I've got those lines right.
A real individual. Won't see her likes again.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Tallulah? Carmen?? Tracey??? No one wants to see these women without their panties on, you HOMOS!
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I was going to post a video of a great Tracey Ullman sketch in which she attempted to do a dance without panties, but the YouTube authorities have already swooped down on it.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Carmen Miranda used to dance without panties -- there must have been something in the water on the Fox lot.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Snatch II: Lifeboat
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

He did. It was called Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

I heard thie Hitchcock comment before though I can't recall when or where, but the story about Tallulah and her exposure getting into the tank has been around forever. I remember reading about co-star Mary Anderson being scadalized by her behavior decades ago.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

It strikes me, that as Hitchcock had such a droll sense of humor, it is a pity he never made a screwball comedy.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Keith Olbermann tonight noted that this was the 39th anniversary of Tallulah Bankhead's death. He then told an anecdote I'd never heard:

Seems that the boat set in Lifeboat was located in an elevated tank, and to get to it one had to climb up a ladder. Tallulah chose not to wear undies, and so each day an ever-increasing number of studio workers on the lot would come over and, from below, watch her ascend.

Zanuck got wind of things, and told director Alfred Hitchcock to put a stop to it. Hitch responded that it wasn't his responsibility. An exasperated Zanuck asked, well then which department's responsibility was it? To which Hitch replied, "Hairdressing."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “The First Century”