VCR/DVD Alert

1895-1999
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Thanks Damien! SGC was one of my very favourite films of the fifties.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damien wrote:John Ford's When WIllie Comes Marching Home -- a 1950 nominee for Best Original Story -- is on TCM at 1:45am tonight. Dan Dailey received a Golden Globe nomination for the picture, losing to Fred Astaire in Three Little Words.
Thanks Damien. What a fun little film. It has been compared a lot to Hail the Conquering Hero, and there are certainly similarities, but the film is also a lot more. A different Ford film, and certainly not a major work, but a fun minor work. Great cast too.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

cam wrote:When, oh, when, is TCM ( or someone!)going to show Solid Gold Cadillac? Someone please alert me if you see it on. Thanks in advance.
I taped it off TCM about two years ago, cam. I'll send you the tape. (It also has Umbrellas of Cherbourg on it).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

When, oh, when, is TCM ( or someone!)going to show Solid Gold Cadillac? Someone please alert me if you see it on. Thanks in advance.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

John Ford's When WIllie Comes Marching Home -- a 1950 nominee for Best Original Story -- is on TCM at 1:45am tonight. Dan Dailey received a Golden Globe nomination for the picture, losing to Fred Astaire in Three Little Words.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Valerio Zurlini's Family Diary, not available on DVD (and never on VHS, as far as I know), airs on Turner Classic Movies very early Monday morning at 2:00 AM EST.

It tied with Tarkovsky's Ivan's Childhood for the Golden Lion at Venice. I recorded it about five years ago when TCM aired it, but I never got around to watching it, and haven't had VHS access in a few years. It's supposedly one of the great unsung Italian films.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Okri wrote:SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I recently bought the Criterion DVD and couldn't be happier.

Saw it and was very moved. One of the most imaginative pieces of film I have ever seen.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I recently bought the Criterion DVD and couldn't be happier.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

La Jetee, Chris Marker's highly regarded 1962 short film, is on TCM tonight at 8:00 pm Eastern Time, 7:00 pm Central.

I have never seen it but I have heard about it for many years. Supposedly something unlike anything I have ever seen before. I have never noticed this being on television before.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It is pretty atrocious and Carolyn Jones' role, as I recall, was awfully small.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Just a reminder that the rarely-shown, The Bachelor Party, with Carolyn Jones's nominated Supporting Actress performance, is on TCM tomorrow (Monday) morning at 7:15am (Eastern Standard Time).

Being a collaboration of Paddy Chayefsky and Delbert Mann, it's probably atroocious, but Jones (whom we all know as Morticia Adams) had, along with Elsa Lanchester, been a favorite to win the 1957 Oscar that ultimately went to Miyoshi Umeki.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Thanks, Damien. I've been trying to catch The Member of the Wedding for awhile now to mark Julie Harris off my list.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Two movies from the 50s which haven't been on TV in years will be on TCM this weekend.

The High And The Mighty, a 1954 nominee for Best Director, 2 Supporting Actresses, Editing and Best Song, and winner of Best Score is on Saturday at 10pm E.S.T.

The Member of the Wedding, with Julie Harris's 1952 Best Actress nomination, is on Sunday afternoon at 12:30.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

This is a last minute alert, but TCM is showing one of the funniest movies ever made, The Fuller Brush Girl, tonight at 8pm. It's directed by LLoyd Bacon, but the real auteur is Frank Tashlin who devised the gags.

Return to “The First Century”