Wes Craven's New Nightmare

1895-1999
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I remember this one being really tepid, with the self-reflexivity feeling totally forced. At least Scream was meant as a satire.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Truth be told, I haven't seen the original Nightmare yet but I watched this film sometime ago and was impressed by how alternately funny and scary it is. Very twisted too, breaking the fourth wall.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I agree. A screenplay nomination would have been deserved (I gave it a nod myself), but people would have laughed if a "Freddy" movie got an Oscar nomination.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

The best of the series I'd say, far surpassing even the original. Edge-of-your-seat spook factor throughout. The script, the music, the revitalized Krueger makeup and claw, Englund, Langenkamp, and Hughes (creepiest child actor of them all?) were all great.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'll preface by saying that I love horror and even the worst films, which I rate accordingly, I still manage to love. However, in 1994, the seventh film in the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise was released. Wes Craven was back for the first time since the original and you know what happened? He managed to create the greatest slasher sequel of all-time (IMO, of course).

This is one terrific piece of cinema and I only wish the Academy could take horror more seriously, because this one was supremely clever.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The First Century”