April Fool's Day

1895-1999
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

As some of you may or may not know, I'm a horror fan. The really crappy ones I still can't stand, but I'm all about inventive (hence why I like Saw and Hostel despite them being far too violent for the genre, imo) storytelling. This little gem from 1986 gem was one of the most interesting of the we've-got-to-be-original lot of the 1980s, which include some very neat films like Prom Night.

So, I decided to pick this film up and watch it. After all, it had been awhile since I watched it and thought "what the hell". Most 80s films get worse upon further viewing and this is especially true with horror. This film doesn't. It's still an engrossing thriller that, while it won't shock you once you've seen it, still manages to achieve that nirvana of horror originality and cliches that make these kinds of things fun.

The stars of this film were relatively lost after making it and few achieved any manner of success.

As with most actors from 80s horror, they've made their living on television in countless television programs.

Deborah Foreman, 12 years after her last episodic appearance, looks to be heading into a new film this year (Beautiful Loser). I've never heard of it.

Amy Smart had one 'hit' movie: Walk Like a Man

Thomas F. Wilson had already made a name for himself in Back to the Future.

The only tie to this year's Oscar race is actress Leah Pinsent played in the film and she's the daughter of Oscar contender Gordon Pinsent.

The rest of the cast either left acting by the early 90s or went into television hell.

And here's an interesting little fact I just discovered. Griffin O'Neal appears in the film and apparently was indicted for manslaughter in the death of Giancarlo Coppola...It's a crazy world out there.

And the ludicrous thing I just discovered in my search through IMDB, they are remaking this film for 2009...they can't possibly do this one justice...which is apparently happening a year after they remake Prom Night...is nothing sacred?

Edited By OscarGuy on 1188876467
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The First Century”