Out of Sight

1895-1999
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yep, though I rather dislike 1998 as a film year.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Before I left Phoenix, I showed my sister and parents 'Out of Sight'. None of them were terribly excited but by the end they were ecstatic. It's a movie that lives and breathes on the screen and long after. I have now seen 'Out of Sight' ten times. Ten times. I am convinced it is one of my all time favorite films in one of my all time favorite years. The material is pulp, such shameless pulp, and it just ####ing crackles. There are at least ten scenes than belong in the pantheon, not the least when "Gary" meets "Celeste" and the screenwriter in me is tempted to throw his arms up, put his pen down, and find himself a cubicle to live out my days.

It's a film where all the right ingredients are present. A phenomenal cast full of character actors all on the verge (Don Cheadle, Steve Zahn, Catherine Keener, Luis Guzman), bringing it back (Ving Rhames, Albert Brooks, Dennis Farina), floating through (Isaiah Washington, Viola Davis), or passing by (Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson). From a technical vantage, it has an outstanding score and soundtrack, evocative cinematography that plays with every aspect of the environment, and a director finding his groove anew.

In addition to its extremely well-deserved nominations for Screenplay and Editing, I think 'Out of Sight' deserved nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Score, Best Cinematography, Best Sound Mixing, as well as for George Clooney. The smoothness this guy possesses throughout is just unparalleled and unsurpassed by him since. This is not coasting by any means. I believe that Jack Foley is one of our most underrated actor's finest hour. This is the only Jennifer Lopez performance I find tolerable, and a nomination for her would be totally palatable. Either Steve Zahn or Don Cheadle would be fantastic choices as well.

'Out of Sight' is like life, only ever-so-slightly better. It's one of the great studio films of the decade. I adore this film.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The First Century”