Early Early Films

1895-1999
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Thanks for your help. I have actually used Ebay to find two films that I couldn't find elsewhere - The Boys of Paul Street and The Pedestrian (I later found out The Pedestrian is available at Kim's in the Village). So maybe I will try them.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I have the following copies on video (of varying quality):

Holiday
Street Angel
The Big Pond
The Royal Family of Broadway
Madame X
Laughter
Berkeley Square
One Hour With You

Have also seen on tv:

The Scoundrel
Valiant is the Word For Carrie.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

If by "available" you mean on DVD, I have no idea. I can tell you that your list of unavailables is all unseen by me, except Skippy, which, believe it or not, was shown overnight on USA Network about 20 years ago (along with its sequel, Sooky). So copies exist somewhere.

On your maybe yes/maybe no list, I saw both Madame X and The Green Goddess on TNT when the station first came on ('88-'89). Presumably Turner Classic has them available but hasn't chosen to show them. The Scoundrel and One Hour With You were both run on PBS (Cinema 13 in NY), again sometime late 80s/early 90s. You might inquire with your local station.

As for your "available" list -- you sure can't prove The Pied Piper by me; then again, I don't scour DVD racks. I can tell you Smart Money has been run more than once by Turner Classics, and The Royal Family of Broadway shows up frequently enough on either PBS or TCM.

The remainder of your lists consists of the films I've been seeking for decades now; some I'm resigned to never quite catching.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I've seen The Green Goddess and Private Worlds at the Museum of Modern Art over the last few years.

The Scoundrel was shown in New York not too long ago.

I have a copy of Bad Girl on VHS (not a great print)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

In my attempt to brush up on some of the earliest Oscar nominees, I began a search a while back to know if people knew availability of a list of early nominees I had composed. I believe I posted on this board and I emailed an expert, but I see that this expert made at least one error. He told me Bad Girl was completely unavailable, yet I noticed in another post, that it is available in some form.

Here is that list - I have it divided into films that are unavailable, films that are availabe, and films that no one knew if they were or were not available.

Would you please help me with any corrections? Perhaps some of the available films are in fact unavailable and vice versa? I'm just looking for a verification on the list. And also, if you know the availability of the questionable ones, where would I find them?

Not Available:
Glorious Betsy
The Noose
The Patent Leather Kid
The Private Life of Helen of Troy
A Ship Comes In
Sorrell and Son
The Way of All Flesh
The Cop
The Patriot
Sal of Singapore
The Valiant