Six Movies You've Never Seen

1895-1999
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I didn't know they did Betty Furness retrospectives. I worked with Betty Furness on a couple of things when she was New York City's Consumer Affairs Commissioner, or whatever her titke was. Lovely, lovely lady and the total opposite of that bitch who succeeded her, Bess Meyerson.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:Interesting. I've actually heard of Stingaree, though I 've never seen it. The other titles draw a complete blank.
Actually when TCM is doing a Betty Furness or Ken Maynard salute, there are plenty of titles even more obscure than these that show up.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Interesting. I've actually heard of Stingaree, though I 've never seen it. The other titles draw a complete blank.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

For all you Lew Landers completists: {The only one I've heard of is A Man To Remember, which has a good reputation, but I've always found Garson Kanin's film's tough going in their stodginess.)

From Variety:

Turner reels in 6 RKO pix
TCM bringing '30s classics back to small screen
By VARIETY STAFF, JOHN DEMPSEY

Turner Classic Movies has negotiated the copyright to six RKO Radio movies from the 1930s featuring such stars as William Powell, Ginger Rogers, Joel McCrea, Irene Dunne and Lionel Barrymore, which haven't shown up on TV in more than 40 years.

The six movies were never included in the buyout of the RKO theatrical-movie library by Ted Turner in 1986 because the producer Merian C. Cooper had received them in 1946 as part of a settlement with RKO, which owed Cooper money on contracts from 1933-34.

Charlie Tabesh, senior VP of programming for TCM, and his expert on the movie library, Dennis Millay, took on the role of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in tracking down the copyrights, which Cooper had sold to Ernest Scanlon, a one-time controller for Selznick Intl. Pictures.

The pictures are: "Double Harness" (1933), with William Powell and Ann Harding, directed by John Cromwell; "Rafter Romance" (1933), with Ginger Rogers, directed by William A. Seiter; "One Man's Journey" (1933), with Lionel Barrymore and Joel McCrea, directed by John S. Robertson; "Stingaree" (1934), with Irene Dunne and Richard Dix, directed by William Wellman; "Living on Love" (1937), with James Dunn, directed by Lew Landers; and "A Man to Remember" (1938), with Anne Shirley, directed by Garson Kanin.

TCM, in association with the Library of Congress and the BYU film archive, has commissioned a company called Film Technology to strike new 35mm prints of all six pictures. The supervisor is Richard P. May, former VP of preservation for Turner Entertainment Co. and Warner Bros.

With great fanfare, TCM will play the movies next year.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “The First Century”