Auntie Mame - The Best Picture Of 1958

1895-1999
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

No, he can't be, just as I am not, 15 years his senior. I would slug him, Damien.
Damien, your discussion of Auntie Mame was right on-the-mark. Not only was the great Roz a treat, but her supporting cast were perfect--Cass, Browne,Tucker, and , especially Joanna Barnes as Gloria Upson. I will never forget the "clenched teeth" and the "Bunny Bixby" line. This is one book that I read as a junior in high school, and could not WAIT for the film. I was so glad it was so good, and saw it at least 5 times then, I remember. The Auntie Mame in the book WAS Roz Russell, aguably her best role. Dennis must have had her in mind.
If any of you read the book, and know to whom I am referring, Beauregard Burnside's mother was described as having the personality of a "Westinghouse refrigerator", and "looked like a cross beteen a cockatoo and Caligula." Patrick Dennis was a fine writer of the type.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Greg wrote:
Damien wrote:Or lovers.

Aren't you a little old for that, Damien? :p :p
Ummmm, no . . .
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Damien wrote:Or lovers.
Aren't you a little old for that, Damien? :p :p
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Lucille Ball version was really an example of a remake bringing things down several notches, wasn't it? While I love the 1958 Auntie Mame, Vertigo is my favorite film of that year.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Cinematic?! It's a film without a director - a photographed play. Some of the performances are good though, and I can't deny that the first half has some very funny moments. But as a whole it's a white elephant of a movie.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

How ironic. I just saw this on stage last night. Of course, few versions can compare to the wonderful film. What strikes me most about that film now is how truly cinematic it seems, despite very little alteration from the original text.

I love Auntie Mame, Damien. I hope I can be your friend. (Although I do like The Incredibles . . .)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:My bottom line is: if you don't love this film, then we could never be friends. Or lovers.
Well you can count me in on as one of your friends or .......!

I have never understood how they could not nominate the great Coral Browne for this film. I prefer her to Peggy Cass any day.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I think Auntie Mame is an absolutely perfect film -- everything about it works. It's warm without being coy, satirical without being nasty, and generous of spirit without being maudlin. Above all, Auntie Mame is one of those rare films that makes you appreciate life, and not just life, but also the wonderful individuals you meet along life's journey. It's a film of immense kindness.

The Comden & Green script is superb -- both narrative and dialogue are perfectly realized. Morton Da Costa's direction not only draws great performances, but he strikes just the right balance of heart and sophistication; and for a script-driven vehicle, the film is amazingly fluid. I especially love the fade-outs he employs after scenes, which beautifully encompass thetheatricality of Mame's life.

And I would argue that Auntie Mame's only rival as the overall best acted comedic film ever is The Shop Around The Corner. Everyone in Auntie Mame is superb, and there is a plethora of seminal and unforgettable performances. Roz of course gives one of the great tour de forces ever leading to one of Oscar's greattest injustices (Susan Hayward in I Want To Live -- phhha!). Plus the amazing Upsons: the great character actors Willard Waterman and Lee Patrick, and Joanna Barnes in the screen's most memorable example of Larchmont Lockjaw; three great and fearless performances. There's also the brilliant Coral Browne, the amusing Peggy Cass, Forrest Tucker who brings such warmth and self-effacing masculinity to his best role ever, the equally warm and likable Patrick Knowles, and Jan Handzlik whose wide eyed innocence wonderfully gives way to a delightful awareness of the joys of life.

My bottom line is: if you don't love this film, then we could never be friends. Or lovers.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “The First Century”