The Firemen's Ball

1895-1999
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Precious Doll wrote:What may have helped was the Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia in the Spring of 1968.

It's 20 years since I last saw the film and I have fond memories of it. I must get around to buying the Criterion DVD sometime in the near future.
Actually, the Soviet invasion was in August of 1968 (the term Prague Spring refers to the few months of openness and freedom the country enjoyed under Alexander Dubcek).

I do think that the political situation did help The Firemen's Ball get nominated. It is ironic, though, that it was defeated by a Russian picture, War and Peace.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

What may have helped was the Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia in the Spring of 1968.

It's 20 years since I last saw the film and I have fond memories of it. I must get around to buying the Criterion DVD sometime in the near future.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I've never seen it, so I can't weigh in on it, but it was very highly regarded at the time.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Can someone explain why this film was nominated? I watched it today and it's really an acquired taste - I suppose I haven't acquired it.

Return to “The First Century”