Nomadland

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Nomadland

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Nomadland is coming to Hulu on February 19th.
Wow -- what could make the Oscar feel more accessible than putting the best picture favorite on a platform only 10% of Americans subscribe to?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Nomadland is coming to Hulu on February 19th.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:As far as the other member who left, if it's who I'm thinking of, they actively post at another forum, and have posted within the past couple of weeks.
Good to know.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Well I actually know how many drinks I had, I just didn't want to sound like a heavy drinker! I'll just say I had more in one night than I usually do in a month. (I actually hardly ever drink.)

As far as the other member who left, if it's who I'm thinking of, they actively post at another forum, and have posted within the past couple of weeks.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I know, it was a typo on both their parts. I was just having fun with it. I hope they realize that!
I'm glad they both realized that AND with a sense of humour.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed you weren't sure how your remarks would be taken :lol:

Lately one has to be careful of offending people as most have become so overly sensitive. Your words sometime back resulted in such an adverse reaction with one member leaving the board and a couple admonishing you.

Good that all's well that ends well in this case.
I was pretty sure they would get the joke. They're both smart guys.

The other incident is a different matter. I reached out to the person who left via private message, but he hasn't responded. It was actually in response to a thoughtful message he had left me a few weeks before he left that I hadn't seen. I thought maybe he was mad at me for not responding to that.

He was a frequent poster on another forum that I visit but don't post to. He had posted there since 2011, under a different name, but hasn't posted since July. He also used to post lists on IMDb. under that name, but I haven't seen one there in a long time either. Something is definitely amiss. I hope all he needs is a rest.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:I may have had a drink or two that impaired my spelling ability last night. Although let's be honest, I probably would've messed up those words anyway because I always do. The English language is weird.
Nah, but not knowing whether you had a drink or two could be a sign of way too early Alzheimer's. :?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:I know, it was a typo on both their parts. I was just having fun with it. I hope they realize that!
I'm glad they both realized that AND with a sense of humour.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed you weren't sure how your remarks would be taken :lol:

Lately one has to be careful of offending people as most have become so overly sensitive. Your words sometime back resulted in such an adverse reaction with one member leaving the board and a couple admonishing you.

Good that all's well that ends well in this case.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I may have had a drink or two that impaired my spelling ability last night. Although let's be honest, I probably would've messed up those words anyway because I always do. The English language is weird.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

dws1982 wrote:At a minimum the final shots both imply that Fern and Ethan are destined to wonder forever. I think the difference, to the extent that there is one, is that Ethan would like (or thinks he would like) to settle into a place but can't, whereas Fern has more or less accepted that she can't.
They both wander (not wonder). Actually I think Fern really doesn’t want to settle. It’s not a question of being able to. It’s a choice she made.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:So, did they wonder as they wandered? I don't recall Ethan doing a lot of wondering in The Searchers. His biggest problem seemed to me that he thought he had all the answers.
I think both mlrg and dws1982 meant to use the word "wander" instead of "wonder". Or at least that's what I got from their posts unless I missed something and both Wayne and McDormand were "wondering" about something in their respective films.
I know, it was a typo on both their parts. I was just having fun with it. I hope they realize that!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:So, did they wonder as they wandered? I don't recall Ethan doing a lot of wondering in The Searchers. His biggest problem seemed to me that he thought he had all the answers.
I think both mlrg and dws1982 meant to use the word "wander" instead of "wonder". Or at least that's what I got from their posts unless I missed something and both Wayne and McDormand were "wondering" about something in their respective films.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

So, did they wonder as they wandered? I don't recall Ethan doing a lot of wondering in The Searchers. His biggest problem seemed to me that he thought he had all the answers.

Still haven't seen Nomadland, but a lot of reviews liken it to John Ford's The Grapes of Wrath. The Searchers therefore makes two Ford films it emulates. Are there any others?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

At a minimum the final shots both imply that Fern and Ethan are destined to wonder forever. I think the difference, to the extent that there is one, is that Ethan would like (or thinks he would like) to settle into a place but can't, whereas Fern has more or less accepted that she can't.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

It’s more than a month that I’ve seen this film and it’s still lingering.

Question for those who have seen it:

SPOILER ALERT

The final shot of the film looks like a clear tribute to The Searchers. There is a clear relation between Frances McDormand character and John Wayne character. Both are unadapted people that wonder without the need to settle in a place. They both walk away from the door to their next destiny.

Anyone had the same thought?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That's a very interesting question.

I guess they're good as long as their registration doesn't expire but when it does, they'll have to renew or risk their vehicle being confiscated if they're stopped by law enforcement. A willing friend or relative in the state they're in who allows them to use their address would be the best option, but if they don't have one, then they had better be in a state that allows p.o. boxes to be used and open one before they apply for the renewal.

Return to “2020”