2014 Academy Invitees

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: 2014 Academy Invitees

Post by OscarGuy »

That's why the Academy started publishing these lists in hopes that names appearing year after year would eventually be shamed into joining. I suspected both had been invited right after their nominations, though I'm guessing Miyazaki was invited much longer before that.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I just found out David Strathairn and Hayao Miyazaki have been both invited in the past. Apparently, they were not Academy members simply because they weren't interested.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

These things are based on recommendations from at least two Academy members. Josh Hutcherson may be young but he has worked with some high profile Academy members including Annette Bening; Julianne Moore; Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson. Riggle has worked with two-time nominee Bradley Cooper.

I was more surprised to see Clancy Brown and Beth Grant on the list after all these years.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

anonymous1980 wrote:Apparently 21 Jump Street and the first Hangover are enough to invite Rob Riggle in.
Dude, Riggle was the most successful correspondent on The Daily Show for years coupled with funny roles in Will Ferrell films and his great, active work in the military makes him a good member at least politically.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm surprised David Strathairn and Hayao Miyazaki aren't already members. Rob Riggle and Josh Hutcherson are surprise inclusions in the Actors' branch. I expected at least one of the Harry Potter kids to be invited (either Daniel Radcliffe or Emma Watson) ahead of Hutcherson. Apparently 21 Jump Street and the first Hangover are enough to invite Rob Riggle in.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

2014 Academy Invitees

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”