Best Picture 1968-1977

What was the Best Picture of Oscar's fith decade?

1968 - The Lion in Winter
7%
1969 - Midnight Cowboy
7%
1970 - Five Easy Piece
No votes
1971 - The Last Picture Show
7%
1972 - The Godfather
21%
1973 - Cries and Whispers
No votes
1974 - Chinatown
7%
1975 - Nashville
36%
1976 - Taxi Driver
7%
1977 - Annie Hall
7%

Total votes: 14

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Picture 1968-1977

Post by Big Magilla »

ksrymy wrote:It says the poll only runs until tomorrow.
Fixed. Thanks for the catch.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: Best Picture 1968-1977

Post by ksrymy »

It says the poll only runs until tomorrow.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Picture 1968-1977

Post by Big Magilla »

Many are looking, but few are voting and no one is commenting on their choices in these best of decade polls. I was hoping we would get at least ten votes in each of these but they're running 7-9 with too many ties. We need more participation.

In any event, this was a monumental decade, perhaps the best ever with some excellent selections in the initial polls.

Several of these would be excellent choices for best of the decade, but I have to go with Midnight Cowboy. I saw that film seven times in its initial run. Never before and never since have I seen a film that captured the grit and grime of NYC with such authenticity while presenting a compelling story with two perfectly acted male lead performances. I liked Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate, but his acting in Midnight Cowboy went way beyond that, so much so that his next film, John and Mary with an equally disappointing Mia Farrow, was such a dud I was concerned that this would be a one-off great performance. I needn't have worried, of course, as Little Big Man put him back on track while Jon Voight continued to do brilliant work throughout the decade and into the next one as well. Never again, though, would either be as mesmerizing as they were here with no small contribution from John Barry's best score and John Schlesinger's best direction.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”