Vote for Next Poll

Please seclect your first, second and third choice or indidacte no interest in a particular choice.

Best Song - first choice
7%
Best Song - second choice
9%
Best Song - third choice
7%
Best Song - no interest
11%
Best Song and Score - first choice
7%
Best Song and Score - second choice
7%
Best Song and Score - third choice
7%
Best Song and Score - no interest
11%
Best Screenplay - first choice
22%
Best Screenplay - second choice
7%
Best Screenplay - third choice
2%
Best Screenplay - no interest
7%

Total votes: 46

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Vote for Next Poll

Post by Big Magilla »

ksrymy wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Most, if not all of the film mentioned for this award are lost. [...] Laugh Clown Laugh
I own Laugh, Clown, Laugh. If you would like, I could send you a burnt copy.
Thanks, I have Laugh, Clown, Laugh. I was probably thinking of London After Midnight which according to my DVD inventory I have but it's probably the recreation tacked onto something else.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Big Magilla wrote:Most, if not all of the film mentioned for this award are lost. [...] Laugh Clown Laugh
I own Laugh, Clown, Laugh. If you would like, I could send you a burnt copy.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

To chime back in...I really like the idea of doing a category backwards. I assume most people here are pretty familiar with at least the past decade of nominees, so it would allow more people (myself included) time to catch up on some of the nominees in earlier races.

I voted for Screenplay in this poll, but I also am a big fan of the Song category...however, it seems like a good handful of the most regular posters have expressed ZERO interest in doing the Song category, and I personally think their opinions should be taken into account in trying to determine which category might have the most lively discussion. (Which isn't to say we should never do it, of course, but it's clear people don't seem to be as interested in that right now.)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:I hope others will express their opinion, and then we can start.
That would be nice. :)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:If you plan to do Best Song at the same time, follow the same order you choose for the Screenplay awards - otherwise it would be confusing.
I have zero interest in recent song nominees/winners.
Yes, ok, but I don't know, maybe the others who want Best Song have SOME interest even in the recent years...

But I mean, these polls aren't just for you and me. I hope others will express their opinion, and then we can start.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:If you plan to do Best Song at the same time, follow the same order you choose for the Screenplay awards - otherwise it would be confusing.
I have zero interest in recent song nominees/winners. Maybe we should let the category rest for a while.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes, these recent here could be done quickly. Also, starting from this year - or last year, as I think we just did the Screenplay awards for 2013 - would get more people involved from the beginning, while I'm sure that only the dinosaurs of the board - including me, of course - have seen most of the nominees from the 30s.

If you plan to do Best Song at the same time, follow the same order you choose for the Screenplay awards - otherwise it would be confusing.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't want to be a dictator. You do bring up a good point about running fast through recent years and slowing down pre-1998.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
So what do we do, have another poll on whether we want to do screenplay backwards or forwards?

No, you choose... For once you can be a dictator (though I think that my idea isn't completely wrong...) :)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:Well, we didn't discuss Screenplay as deeply as Film or Actors, even in these recent years... Still, if we start from 2013, we could get a bit faster at the beginning, for example doing three years every two weeks till we get to the 90s, when this board started, and then yes, one per week till 1927. Plus, it's not like some movies nominated for Best Song are THAT easy to find (and I'd never vote for a song from a movie that I haven't seen).
So what do we do, have another poll on whether we want to do screenplay backwards or forwards?

Many of the song nominees and winners were only used in opening or end titles. Most of the wins from 1950 on were based on the popularity of the song. For example, the win for "Mona Lisa" was based entirely on Nat King Cole's recording or it. The song, which is sung in Italian, not English, in Captain Carey, U.S.A., would probably not have become the first winner from a non-musical without it. On the other hand, songs from musicals from 1934 to 1949 were often based on their use in their films. Many of them won for the way they used over more popular songs that weren't used as well, but even in those years songs like "White Christmas" and "The Last Time I Saw Paris" won on their personal popularity. As for seeing all the nominees in this category, it's virtually impossible in the years in which there were nominees from films so obscure few people saw them when they were available let alone in their after-life on TV and video.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:I like the backwards screenplay idea!!
I don't. If we do these at the rate of one per week, which seems to be what everyone wants, it will be late 2015 by the time we get around to last year which may put enough time between what we've just finished discussing in other polls and threads for it to seem fresh.

Well, we didn't discuss Screenplay as deeply as Film or Actors, even in these recent years... Still, if we start from 2013, we could get a bit faster at the beginning, for example doing three years every two weeks till we get to the 90s, when this board started, and then yes, one per week till 1927. Plus, it's not like some movies nominated for Best Song are THAT easy to find (and I'd never vote for a song from a movie that I haven't seen).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:Why are we in such a rush that we have to do three categories at once? Most of us have a hard enough time keeping up with one...you are really not going to get much involvement...
What three categories?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:I like the backwards screenplay idea!!
I don't. If we do these at the rate of one per week, which seems to be what everyone wants, it will be late 2015 by the time we get around to last year which may put enough time between what we've just finished discussing in other polls and threads for it to seem fresh.

It will be about three weeks before we get to the first poll which will be 1927/28 in which the nominees are The Circus; The Last Command and Underworld for Best Story and Glorious Betsy (a lost film based on a novel which you can find at Amazon); The Jazz Singer and 7th Heaven. We won't be doing title writing which was a one time only category. Most, if not all of the film mentioned for this award are lost. Among them: Telling the World; The Fair Co-E and; Laugh Clown Laugh (all by co-winner Joseph Farnham); The Private Life of Helen of Troy (by co-winner Gerald Duffy) and Oh, Kay! by George Marion, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Why are we in such a rush that we have to do three categories at once? Most of us have a hard enough time keeping up with one...you are really not going to get much involvement...
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Let's say we'd be doing song for me and the few others who are interested.
I agree with Original BJ, of course - but if you REALLY need to do Best Song, it should be in parallel with the Screenplay polls (absurd, I know, but it's the only solution at this point).
That's what I said we would do. Anyone who has a problem with song needn't participate in the song polls but can participate in the simultaneously run screenplay polls.
Oh ok. We didn't really need this poll then - but this is an acceptable compromise.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”