Trivia Help

Greg
Tenured

Re: Trivia Help

Post by Greg »

Sorry, I guess I sometimes become obsessive-compulsive with data. Guess it's a professional hazard.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Greg wrote:Well, Wings, obviously, has no women, or men, in speaking roles. Lawrence Of Arabia must have some women extras in what would technically be speaking roles, i.e. shouting in a crowd.
Are we really squabbling like this now?

There are no women credited on the cast credits. How's that?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Well, Wings, obviously, has no women, or men, in speaking roles. Lawrence Of Arabia must have some women extras in what would technically be speaking roles, i.e. shouting in a crowd.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Isn't it the only Best Picture winner with no women in speaking roles?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Next up on "Need Trivia":

Lawrence of Arabia.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:Need another assist.

I need something unique regarding On the Waterfront. I don't have time to check, but was it the first film to receive three nominations in the Best Supporting Actor category? I know that three actors were nominated for Mutiny on the Bounty, but that wasn't Best Supporting Actor. I know that it also happened in Best Supporting Actress for Tom Jones. Are those the only three situations? or am I forgetting some?
The first two Godfathers
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Need another assist.

I need something unique regarding On the Waterfront. I don't have time to check, but was it the first film to receive three nominations in the Best Supporting Actor category? I know that three actors were nominated for Mutiny on the Bounty, but that wasn't Best Supporting Actor. I know that it also happened in Best Supporting Actress for Tom Jones. Are those the only three situations? or am I forgetting some?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Film Fan gave me what I was looking for, a usable trivia answer. Thanks all.
Wesley Lovell
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Judy Holliday/Born Yesterday too.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Oh, and George Arliss too, who appeared countless of times as Disraeli on stage before winning the Oscar for recreating this role in the nominated film version.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Paul Lukas originated his Oscar winning role in the nominated Watch on the Rhine on Broadway too.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OscarGuy wrote: I cannot find a source for this, but was this the first time an actor in a Best Picture nominee was given the Oscar for a role he originated on stage? I'm thinking Paul Scofield's Thomas More. Otherwise, I just don't think I can come up with a suitable bit of trivia for it.
Yul Brynner and Rex Harrison preceded him.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The first Tony Winner for Best Play to win Best Picture too.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Trivia Help

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for some of these, but I'm working on short blurbs for the 86 Best Picture winners for a piece I'm putting together on behalf of the OFCS ranking the Best Picture winners.

I'm trying to put together one or two Oscar-related facts about each one and I'm getting stumped periodically.

I struggled on An American in Paris and a few others, but A Man for All Seasons has me completely stymied. I cannot find a source for this, but was this the first time an actor in a Best Picture nominee was given the Oscar for a role he originated on stage? I'm thinking Paul Scofield's Thomas More. Otherwise, I just don't think I can come up with a suitable bit of trivia for it.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”