Oddball Oscar Note

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Oddball Oscar Note

Post by Big Magilla »

1977's A Bridge Too Far features seven future Oscar winners - Sean Connery; Gene Hackman; Michael Caine; Anthony Hopkins; Laurence Olivier (his second honorary Oscar was two years away; Robert Attenboroughugh (who directed this as well as appearing in it) and Robert Redford, both of whom won for directing although Redford's honorary Oscar included his achievements in acting).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This thread is about the most future winners, not overall winners.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

There is already a thread on this, just above this one started by Inky:

Films with the most Oscar acting award winners.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Murder on the Orient Express had five future winners - four in support - Bergman who won for that, plus Vanessa Redgrave, John Gielgud and Sean Connery as well as honorary award winner Lauren Bacall.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

If you just want future Lead Oscar winners, Raising Arizona has 3: Frances McDormand, Nicolas Cage and Holly Hunter.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Thanks, guys, for doing the research.

Okri, your highlighting Fonda/Wayne made me check The Longest Day -- both of them were in that, and so, it turns out, was Rod Steiger (plus later supporting winner Sean Connery), so there's another.

FilmFan, yours would have to win for Least Likely. Fonda/Wayne/Peck/Steiger were all in Should Win Someday category by the time these films were made. The Ridgemont High class would have got you pretty astronomical odds against their ever pulling this off. (And we can add the screenwriter as another future winner)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Fast Times at Ridgemont high has Sean Penn, Nicolas Cage and Forest Whitaker.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

How the West Was Won - Gregory Peck, John Wayne and Henry Fonda. Peck would've won the oscar a couple months after this film was released.

I totally started searching with all those all-star extravaganzas, but of course - most had past winners, not future. The only other film I can think of is The Godfather - Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall and Al Pacino. But that's totally cheating.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Oddball Oscar Note

Post by Mister Tee »

Last week I was looking at The Yellow Rolls-Royce on TCM -- a movie I'd seen when I was a kid. I was startled to note that the film featured one past best actress winner, Ingrid Bergman, one future best actress winner, Shirley MacLaine, and a whopping three future best actor winners -- George C. Scott, Art Carney and Rex Harrison (Harrison had actually won by the time the film was released in the states, but, according to IMDB, the film opened in the UK in December '64; in any event, he was not yet a winner during filming).

I wondered how unusually large a grouping of future winners this represented -- especially if there was precedent for three ultimate winners in the same category?

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”