The opening from the first televised Oscar ceremony

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Re: The opening from the first televised Oscar ceremony

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Great video... Can not believe I found myself laughing really loud at some of the jokes. Loved some of the lines: "Look at those Oscars, isn't it something? It looks like Bette Davies garage", "...since Cecil B. DeMille began rewriting the Bible", and specially "Television, that's where movies go when they die". Amazing, Bob Hope was one of a kind. Love his witty but at the same time respectful humour...

I really like the fact the Academy is constantly finding some "new" (actually old) videos to show. One of the videos that impressed me the most is the handing of Original Screenplay in the 1990 ceremony (in early 1991): Hopkins and Foster presented it, they walked on stage with the now iconic Howard Shore score playing. An uncanny moment considering what would happen 12 months after. (The 1991 ceremony was the very first I saw, so I never knew this happened).
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:The Oscars youtube channel has posted it.

Big Magilla, did you remember watching this? :lol:
Nope, didn't see any Oscar broadcast until the 1958 Oscars and then I only remember seeing the last half hour or so.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

It sounds like Ronald Reagan is doing the opening voice over.
anonymous1980
Laureate

The opening from the first televised Oscar ceremony

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Oscars youtube channel has posted it.

Big Magilla, did you remember watching this? :lol:

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”