3 Degrees of Separation

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 3 Degrees of Separation

Post by Big Magilla »

Tommy Lee Jones to Steven Spielberg (Lincoln) to Joan Crawford (Night Gallery) to Lionel Barrymore (Grand Hotel)
Anne Hathaway to Julie Andrews (The Princess Diaries) to Mary Tyler Moore (Thoroughly Modern Millie) to First You Cry (Florence Eldredge)
Anne Hathaway to Eddie Redmayne (Les Misérables) to Judi Dench (My Week With Marilyn) to Alec Guinness (A Handful of Dust) to Valentina Cortese (Brother Sun, Sister Moon)
Anne Hathaway to Julie Andrews (Princess Diaries II) to Elsa Lanchester (Mary Poppins) to Sylvia Sidney (Les Misérables)
Hugh Jackman to Michael Caine (The Prestige) to Laurence Olivier (Sleuth) to Charles Laughton (Spartacus) to Fredric March (Les Misérables)
Hugh Jackman to Michael Caine (The Prestige) to Laurence Olivier (Sleuth) to Charles Laughton (Spartacus) to Thomas Mitchell (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) to Jean Gabin (Moontide)
Hugh Jackman to Michael Caine (The Prestige) to Laurence Olivier (Sleuth) to Charles Laughton (Spartacus) to Cluadette Colbert (The Sign of the Cross) to Maurice Costello (Guest Wife)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Greg wrote:Daniel Day Lewis was in Gandhi? It must have been a bit part like his part in Sunday Bloody Sunday.
It's considerably more substantial -- in the early, South African part of the film.

The Sunday Bloody Sunday one you have to take his word for it. You barely see the face of the kid walking by, and it could be anybody.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Daniel Day Lewis was in Gandhi? It must have been a bit part like his part in Sunday Bloody Sunday.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sally Field (Absence of Malice) Paul Newman (The Sting) Robert Redford (Inside Daisy Clover) Ruth Gordon.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Daniel Day-Lewis (Gandhi) John Mills (War and Peace) Oscar Homolka (Mission to Moscow) Walter Huston
Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) Hal Holbrook (All the President's Men) Martin Balsam (Twelve Angry Men) Henry Fonda
Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) Tommy Lee Jones (The Executioner's Song) Eli Wallach (How the West Was Won) Raymond Massey
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I need to think about this a little more, but for the first one I can connect Day-Lewis in four:

Daniel Day-Lewis to Maggie Smith (A Room With a View) to Bette Davis (Death on the Nile) to Agnes Moorehead (Summer Holiday) to Walter Huston.

Here are my original connects:

Anne Hathaway to Maggie Smith (Becoming Jane) to John Ford (Young Cassidy) to Maureen O'Hara (The Quiet Man)

Daniel Day-Lewis to Leonardo DiCaprio (Gangs of New York) to Diane Keaton (Marvin's Room) to Marlon Brando (The Godfather)

Robert De Niro to Jodie Foster (Taxi Driver) to Helen Hayes (Candleshoe) to Gary Cooper (A Farewell to Arms)

Sally Field to Paul Newman (Absence of Malice) to Geraldine Page (Sweet Bird of Youth) to Wendy Hiller (Toys in the Attic)

Alan Arkin to Jeff Bridges (Hearts of the West) to Fredric March (The Iceman Cometh) to Myrna Loy (The Best Years of Our Lives)

Steven Spielberg to Robert Shaw (Jaws) to Lotte Lenya (From Russia, With Love) to Vivien Leigh (The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone)

Helen Hunt to Jack Nicholson (As Good As It Gets) to Lois Smith (Five Easy Pieces) to James Dean (East of Eden)
but a more direct route would be Helen Hunt to Lois Smith (Twister) to James Dean (East of Eden)

Emmanuelle Riva to Eiji Okada (Hiroshima, Mon Amour) to Marlon Brando (The Ugly American) to Teresa Wright (Roseland)

Jessica Chastain to Brad Pitt (The Tree of Life) to Susan Sarandon (Thelma & Louise) to Burt Lancaster (Atlantic City)

Amy Adams to Meryl Streep (Doubt) to Jane Fonda (Julia) to Katharine Hepburn (On Golden Pond)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Since I love symmetry:

2. Daniel Day Lewis (Mutiny on the Bounty) Anthony Hopkins (Hamlet) Gordon Jackson (Mutiny on the Bounty) Marlon Brando
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

What about connecting this year nominees with actors who played the same role?

Daniel Day Lewis to Walter Huston
Daniel Day Lewis to Henry Fonda
Daniel Day Lewis to Raymond Macey
Tommy Lee Jones to Lionel Barrymore
Sally Field to Ruth Gordon
Hugh Jackman to Maurice Costello
Hugh Jackman to Fredric March
Hugh Jackman to Jean Gabin
Anne Hathaway to Florence Eldridge
Anne Hathaway to Valentina Cortese

And so on…
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

This one was harder but I believe this is the path you had in mind.

8. Emmanuelle Riva (Amour) Isabelle Huppert (Heaven’s Gate) Christopher Walken (Roswland) Teresa Wright
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

1. Anne Hathaway (The Princess Diary) Julie Andrews (The Sound of Music) Anna Lee (How Green Was My Valley) Maureen O'Hara

9. Jessica Chastain (The Tree of Life) Sean Penn (Dead Man Walking) Susan Sarandon (Atlantic City) Burt Lancaster

10. Amy Adams (Doubt, Julie/Julia) Meryl Streep (Julia, The House of the Spirits, Evening) Vanessa Redgtrave (The Trojan Women) Katharine Hepburn
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Very good, Flipp. Remarkably you got from point A to point D on all six through different points B and C than I did.

Anyone else? And what about the other four?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

2. Daniel Day-Lewis (The Crucible) Winona Ryder (Little Women) Susan Sarandon (A Dry, White Season) Marlon Brando.

3. Robert De Niro (The Untouchables) Sean Connery (Murder on the Orient Express) Anthony Perkins (Friendly Persuasion) Gary Cooper.

4. Sally Field (Mrs. Doubtfire) Harvey Fierstein (Torch Song Trilogy) Anne Bancroft (The Elephant Man) Wendy Hiller.

5. Alan Arkin (Wait Until Dark) Audrey Hepburn (My Fair Lady) Rex Harrison (Midnight Lace) Myrna Loy.

6. Steven Spielberg (The Sugarland Express) Goldie Hawn (Shampoo) Warren Beatty (The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone) Vivien Leigh.

7. Helen Hunt (As Good As It Gets) Jack Nicholson (Easy Rider) Dennis Hooper (Giant) James Dean.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

3 Degrees of Separation

Post by Big Magilla »

Here's a litle quick quiz that I came up with out of the top of my head. These are all simple connections - no need to check IMDb. though you may if you want/need to.

Connect ten of this year's Oscar nominees to ten stars of the past by going through just two other actors/directors. For example if I said connect Ben Affleck to Alfred Hitchcock you could say Affleck to Matt Damon (Good Will Hunting) to Teresa Wright (The Rainmaker) to Alfred Hitchcock (Shadow of a Doubt).

Here are the ten:

1. Anne Hathaway to Maureen O'Hara
2. Daniel Day-Lewis to Marlon Brando
3. Robert De Niro to Gary Cooper
4. Sally Field to Wendy Hiller
5. Alan Arkin to Myrna Loy
6. Steven Spielberg to Vivien Leigh
7. Helen Hunt to James Dean
8. Emmanuelle Riva to Teresa Wright
9. Jessica Chastain to Burt Lancaster
10. Amy Adams to Katharine Hepburn

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”