It's Quiz Time!

dws1982
Emeritus

Re: It's Quiz Time!

Post by dws1982 »

Uri wrote:You left out Kevin Costner. Am I tracing wishful thinking?
Yes...I've loved him some movies since then (A Perfect World especially...I even liked Open Range), but I've spent years trying to block that one from my mind.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Nitpicking again: Olivier was first nominated as actor in '39, and Henry V was part of the race in '46.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

You left out Kevin Costner. Am I tracing wishful thinking?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

John Houseman I overlooked, actually, but he qualifies.

Huston was who I had in mind, although looking back over it, he has to go into the questionable territory. He produced Moulin Rouge, but he did so uncredited. Academy records don't list an individual nominee for that Best Picture nomination--it just lists "Romulus Films".

So, to recap:

Henry Fonda (First Acting nomination: 1940; Best Picture nomination: 1957)
Warren Beatty (First Acting and Best Picture nomination: 1967...and then he got Acting/Picture nominations in 1978, 1981, and 1991)
Paul Newman (First Acting nomination: 1958; Best Picture nomination: 1968)
John Houseman (First Acting nomination: 1973; Best Picture nomination: 1953)
Michael Douglas (First Acting nomination: 1987; Best Picture nomination: 1975)
Kevin Costner (First Acting and Best Picture nomination: 1990)
Barbra Streisand (First Acting nomination: 1968; Best Picture nomination: 1991)
Clint Eastwood (First Acting and Best Picture nomination: 1992...and then he got an Acting/Picture nomination in 2004, plus Picture nominations in 2003 and 2006)
Mark Wahlberg (First Acting nomination: 2006; Best Picture nomination: 2010)
Brad Pitt (First Acting nomination: 1995; Best Picture nomination: 2011)
George Clooney (First Acting nomination: 2005: Best Picture nomination: 2012)

Questionable Territory:
John Huston (First Acting nomination: 1963; Best Picture nomination for a film he produced--uncredited: 1952)

Would be on the list if Producers had been part of the Best Picture nominations in the early days:
Orson Welles (First Acting nomination and Best Picture nomination for a film he produced: 1941)
Laurence Olivier (First Acting nomination: 1939 Best Picture nomination for a film he produced: 1946...would he qualify for 1948 as well? I've never seen full producing credits for Hamlet and don't have the film on hand to check credits)
Last edited by dws1982 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Ok – it’s John Houseman – as producer for Julius Caesar and of course as an actor for The Paper Chase. At first I thought it was John Huston, but surprisingly, he was never nominated as producer.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

You've got it Uri. I would consider Wahlberg likable--I've never known of anyone to refuse to see a film because he's in it. There's one person you're missing. He completed the feat between Fonda and Beatty.

I was considering the year they completed the feat to be the year they got the second nomination: So Douglas would've completed it in '87, when he got his acting nomination. The missing person, like Douglas, got his acting nomination after his Best Picture nomination. He's also kind of like Douglas/Wahlberg/Redford in that he only had one Picture/Acting nomination each, although unlike them, he had several nominations in other categories.

Didn't think about Welles as a twelfth, although he definitely fits. There's (at least) one more from that same era who would count as well.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Assuming at first this actor’s two nominations were for acting, I too thought it was between Law, Ian McKelen and Ralph Fines, and I went for Law, thinking it was about people who got all their nominations for films directed by only one person (Mingela in Law’s case), Waltz being the one qualifying this year. But when I saw it didn’t work taking only actors into account, and since there was no way for me to verify it considering all categories (as the text allows), I took another route (thank you, George Clooney).
Last edited by Uri on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It could be actors and directors or people in general who were nominated in other categories in addition to being on the credits for Best Picture - Sydney Pollack for 1985, John Boorman, James L. Brooks and Norman Jewison all for 1987, Lawrence Kasdan for 1988 but that puts the count at fifteen, not counting Burt Lancaster. John Ford, who did it earlier, would make if sixteen, so I guess that's not it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sounds like you're on the right track. I thought the likeable actor might be Jude Law (Anna Karenina) who is one of sixteen actors (if my count is right) who were nominated for lead Oscars after being nominated for supporting, but not only is the count off, so is the timing.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

My numbers don’t seem to fully add up and I guess it depends on whether Mark Wahlberg can be called likable. He was in Ted, which is nominated this year only for best song and his only two nominations were as best supporting actor in The Departed and as producer of The Fighter, which qualify him as a nominated actor who was also nominated for best picture. Last year Brad Pitt did it, this year Clooney.

The first one was Henry Fonda for 12 Angry Men, although some may say Bert Lanchester should be mentioned for producing Marty, but he wasn't credited and didn't get an Oscar. Warren Beatty and Paul Newman were nominated in ’67 and ’68. Michael Douglas in ’75. Beatty ’78 and ’81. Costner ’90. Striesand and Beatty again in ’91. Eastwood ’92. Redford in ’94. Eastwood ’03, ’04, ‘07. Wahlberg ’10, Pitt ’11 (the other Oscar-less one), Clooney, ’12.

And no, Welles was not officially nominated for Citizen Kane.

Edit: Btw, I guess the time frames refer to only to the first nomination for producing these people received.
Last edited by Uri on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I have one although I fear it may be too vague. (Or it may be too simple and boring to bother with.) The thing with this one is that naming even one name is a dead giveaway. So I have to leave the names off.

Anyway...
This likeable actor is in a movie nominated in this year, although it's not nominated in any major category. He's also one of eleven (I think it's eleven...hope I didn't overlook someone!) people in Oscar history who has achieved a particular feat. (Some might argue that there should be a twelfth on this list, but this person doesn't officially qualify.) Anyone who has achieved this feat has at least two nominations. It was first achieved back in the late 50's. It tends to happen in spurts: It happened a few times in the mid/late-60's, and then not again for about twenty years in the late-80's/early-90's. (Although one person achieved it again during the interim.) And then it didn't happen again for awhile. Someone achieved it this year, and someone achieved it last year. Our actor in question achieved it...at some point before then, and that's about as specific as I can be.

Unfortunately for the actor in question, he's one of only two people on this list who has never won a competitive Oscar. He's also one of only two people on this list who only has the two nominations that allowed him to achieve this feat.

What, exactly, is the achievement? Who is the actor in question, and who else has achieved it? Bonus points if you name the unofficial twelfth.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

dws1982 wrote:We've already established that Dench was nominated as Elizabeth I, and actors playing her parents were also nominated. But in addition to that, Dench was nominated for playing Queen Victoria in Mrs. Brown. A few years before, Helen Mirren and Nigel Hawthorne were nominated for playing Queen Victoria's grandparents, Queen Charlotte and King George III, in The Madness of King George. That's my guess.
Bingo. Thank heaven for the British royals. Btw, not only actors who played Victoria’s grandparents were nominated, but also one who played her granddaughter – Janet Suzman for Nicolas and Alexandra. And a great grandson (Firth) and a great great granddaughter (Mirren).

And Tee, Mirren, not Dench, is the only person to be nominated for playing a person and one of this person’s descendents (queens Charlotte and Elizabeth II).
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

We've already established that Dench was nominated as Elizabeth I, and actors playing her parents were also nominated. But in addition to that, Dench was nominated for playing Queen Victoria in Mrs. Brown. A few years before, Helen Mirren and Nigel Hawthorne were nominated for playing Queen Victoria's grandparents, Queen Charlotte and King George III, in The Madness of King George. That's my guess.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

flipp525 wrote:
Uri wrote:(or should it be Bravi, Marco?) o achieve?
Shouldn't it be Bravo, FilmFan720? He's the one who solved it.
You are all winners in my eyes, but yes FilmFan is indeed the one who cracked it. Chapeau.

Now – what about that other question ?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Uri wrote:(or should it be Bravi, Marco?) o achieve?
Shouldn't it be Bravo, FilmFan720? He's the one who solved it.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”