It's Quiz Time!

Bog
Assistant

Re: It's Quiz Time!

Post by Bog »

I can do nothin but echo Flipp...wow guys, just wow...haha or as Uri put it Freudian slip and all (though not entirely accurate, either way) "I underestimated you gays"

Great quiz Uri...bravi
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Uri wrote:One goes to sleep wondering if one’s quiz was a little bit too hard only to wake up to this. Bravo you all (or should it be Bravi, Marco?) – and the bonus goes to Magilla whose answer is pitch perfect. I’m afraid I under estimated you gays – I added Fonda’s name in the last moment which I guess was unnecessary.
Actually, Uri, Fonda's name was crucial to me getting it right. Once the lightbulb went off about Bradley Cooper, I was still stumped by Helen Mirren but Jane Fonda validated my hunch.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote: Bravo you all (or should it be Bravi, Marco?)
It's Bravi - and they really are, I could have never answered this one.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Mister Tee wrote:
Uri wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Is Judi Dench the only person to be nominated twice for playing the same character as another nominated actress in the same year?[/quot

Actually no – Winslet achieved this feat with Titanic and then again, along Dend, with Iris. My question is in the same vague of the original one.
I may be showing my shameful ignorance of the full line of British succession, but, having done Elizabeth and Victoria, would she be the only person nominated for playing the ancestor of another person she played?
Victoria was not a direct decedent of Elizabeth I but of her arch rival, Mary Stuart. All were descendants of Henry VII (not VIII). I won’t go on since I will have to give away the answer.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Uri wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Is Judi Dench the only person to be nominated twice for playing the same character as another nominated actress in the same year?[/quot

Actually no – Winslet achieved this feat with Titanic and then again, along Dend, with Iris. My question is in the same vague of the original one.
I may be showing my shameful ignorance of the full line of British succession, but, having done Elizabeth and Victoria, would she be the only person nominated for playing the ancestor of another person she played?
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

[quote="The Original BJ"]Is Judi Dench the only person to be nominated twice for playing the same character as another nominated actress in the same year?[/quot

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Is Judi Dench the only person to be nominated twice for playing the same character as another nominated actress in the same year?
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

One goes to sleep wondering if one’s quiz was a little bit too hard only to wake up to this. Bravo you all (or should it be Bravi, Marco?) – and the bonus goes to Magilla whose answer is pitch perfect. I’m afraid I under estimated you gays – I added Fonda’s name in the last moment which I guess was unnecessary.

The Day Lewis/Lombard tip was only a sample of a case when probably a missing parent was close to a nomination (although the two-parents/different-films idea is a smart one I didn’t think of). Dean is indeed another good example. I wanted to add Paul Newman since I always wrongly associate Ives’ win with CoaHTR and not TBC, and I guess Anderson was a contender. Dona Corleone was a non entity, so no nomination was expected there, but I believe The Godfather managed the unique feat of a parent and two offspring being nominated. And Part II featured another father/son combo, but a parent/offspring one is quite common.

Now – you mentioned Dench for the Tudor genealogy (btw, not sticking to one movie means Laughton and Shaw should be mentioned for being nominated for playing Henry VIII too). What similar yet different feat she was the only one to achieve?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What an fantastic quiz questions, Uri. Great job, FilmFan! And everyone else for filling in the other scenarios. I'm very impressed.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:I think I've got it. Uri gave us Bradley Cooper, Helen Mirren and Jane Fonda. BJ added Justin Henry, Cher and Kevin McCarthy. That's six. The other two are Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench (Elizabeth I) whose parents were played by Richard Burton and Genevieve Bujold (Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn) who were Oscar nominated for Anne of the Thousand Days. The ninth is Claude Jarman, Jr. who won a special Oscar for The Yearling for which both parents, Gregory Peck and Jane Wyman were nominated.

The Day-Lwies/Lombard connection is that Ray McAnally who won a Bafta as his father in My Left Foot could have been nominated for an Oscar as could have Eugene Pallette in My Man Godfrey with their respective screen wives.
Damn, I'd just made the Henry/Anne Boleyn/Elizabeth connection and was coming here to post. Never would have made the Yearling connection, though.

Seems like this sort of thing would have been more common over the years. Probably a few more mother/father pairs without children nominated.

I would continue to advocate for the East of Eden trio as an almost, if Magilla's and my interpretation of Uri's criteiria is correct.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think I've got it. Uri gave us Bradley Cooper, Helen Mirren and Jane Fonda. BJ added Justin Henry, Cher and Kevin McCarthy. That's six. The other two are Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench (Elizabeth I) whose parents were played by Richard Burton and Genevieve Bujold (Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn) who were Oscar nominated for Anne of the Thousand Days. The ninth is Claude Jarman, Jr. who won a special Oscar for The Yearling for which both parents, Gregory Peck and Jane Wyman were nominated.

The Day-Lwies/Lombard connection is that Ray McAnally who won a Bafta as his father in My Left Foot could have been nominated for an Oscar as could have Eugene Pallette in My Man Godfrey with their respective screen wives.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Mister Tee wrote:
The Original BJ wrote: Still not sure how Carole Lombard missed in exactly the same way Day-Lewis did, though. Will have to think on that.
I'd think it would be the mother was nominated, the father was not (though, as you point out, his father in another film did make it). And maybe that people think after the fact that the father SHOULD have been nominated.
I interpreted Uri's "rather close" wording to suggest what FilmFan says: that Day-Lewis was nominated for roles where his movie father AND mother were nominated, it just wasn't the same role. Carole Lombard was nominated opposite one nominated parent...but quite a bit more people fit that bill, so I wondered if there was anything more specific to set her situation apart (the way one could view Day-Lewis's).
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote: Still not sure how Carole Lombard missed in exactly the same way Day-Lewis did, though. Will have to think on that.
I'd think it would be the mother was nominated, the father was not (though, as you point out, his father in another film did make it). And maybe that people think after the fact that the father SHOULD have been nominated.

Wouldn't James Dean/Jo Van Fleet be another mother/son combo, with Massey a near-miss? (This strictly off the top of my head; I haven't gone looking through the lists for other examples)

Uri, are we hot or cold on this?
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Wow, FilmFan, I'm pretty sure you got it.

Some others would be Justin Henry in Kramer vs. Kramer, Cher in Moonstruck, and Kevin McCarthy in Death of a Salesman.

Still not sure how Carole Lombard missed in exactly the same way Day-Lewis did, though. Will have to think on that.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I'm on my cell phone in a parking lot so I don't have time for too much research, but I think it has to do with both of Bradley Cooper's movie parents are nominated too, which certainly happened to Jane Fonda in On Golden Pond. Teresa Wrights inlaws were nominated in Mrs Miniver, and Helen Mirrens parents in The Queen were nominated out years later for The Kings Speech.

Would the Daniel Day Lewis catch be that his mom was nominated in My Left Foot and his dad for In the Name of the Father?

Not sure about the others...does I Never Sang for my Father work? Can't remember the exact nominations off the top of my head.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”