Hitchcock (Feb. 6)
Kon-Tiki
Lincoln (Feb. 20)
No
A Royal Affair
The Sessions
Silver Linings Playbook
War Witch

All the documentaries and shorts save for Paperman.
mlrg
Associate

Re: Unseen 2012 Oscar Nominated Films

Post by mlrg »

Of the best animated film I've seen all with my 6 year old daughter except Frankenweenie because when it opened in my country it was only with subtitles.

My favourite was Pirates, Band of Misfists. Her favourite was Wreck it Ralph :)

She did not like Brave btw
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Django Unchained
Lincoln
Silver Linnings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Flight
The Impossible
Chasing Ice
Anna Karenia
Kon-Tiki
No
War Witch

I generally don't seek out the documentaries unless the subject is of interest to me. I've see three of the nominees (5 Broken Camera, How to Survive a Plague & Searching for Sugarman). The other two sound interesting so I'll keep an eye out for them.
Last edited by Precious Doll on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

flipp525 wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Films I hope to see before the Oscars:
How to Survive a Plague
I saw this over the weekend and found it extremely affecting. Larry Kramer can be as self-aggrandizing as they come, but even he has a moment during one of the ACT-UP meetings that makes everything and everyone stand absolutely still. It's hard to imagine just how complicit the government was in essentially ignoring a plague happening right in America. I mean, I knew that, but this doc really puts everything into bas-relief.
I agree...that speech was so powerful that I immediately rewound it to watch it again. A highlight of the year's best Documentary, and one of the best films of the year.

I watched The Invisible War last night, which tackles an incredibly important and heart-breaking topic with intelligence and great emotion. Unfortunately, it does it in a fairly bland way.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:Films I hope to see before the Oscars:
How to Survive a Plague
I saw this over the weekend and found it extremely affecting. Larry Kramer can be as self-aggrandizing as they come, but even he has a moment during one of the ACT-UP meetings that makes everything and everyone stand absolutely still. It's hard to imagine just how complicit the government was in essentially ignoring a plague happening right in America. I mean, I knew that, but this doc really puts everything into bas-relief.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Films I hope to see before the Oscars:
5 Broken Cameras
The Gatekeepers
How to Survive a Plague
The Invisible War
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Snow White and the Huntsman
Ted

Films I probably won't get to see before the Oscars:
Chasing Ice
Kon-Tiki
No
A Royal Affair
War Witch

Excluded shorts.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I've seen almost every oscar nominee this year excluding the short film categories. I'm missing a few in the Animated/Foreign/ Documentary categories

Wreck It Ralph
Paranorman
How to Survive a Plague
Gatekeepers
No
War Witch
Chasing Ice
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I always think I'm doing better than I am. Leaving out Foreign Film, documentary and shorts:

Amour
Zero Dark Thirty
The Master
Chasing Ice
Ted

But strangely, it's true. I'm doing phenomenally well this year. Of course I'll try to pick up ZDT soon, Amour doesn't open here until late February (the 22, I believe). The Master I don't know when I'll see...it's like Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch Drunk Love. I don't like Joaquin Phoenix or Philip Seymour Hoffman and I've been less than impressed with Amy Adams over the years, so there's little reason for me to see it other than it's an Oscar nominee. I don't want to watch Chasing Ice (I'm not much of a documentary fan) and Ted I'd like to see eventually. So, overall, not a bad year for me.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Unseen 2012 Oscar Nominated Films

Post by Reza »

Still got a number of films to watch off the list:

Chasing Ice
War Witch
No
Frankenweenie
Wreck-It Ralph
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
5 Broken Cameras
The Gatekeepers
How to Survive a Plague
The Invisible War
Searching For Sugar Man
Last edited by Reza on Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:32 am, edited 9 times in total.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”